1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cracked Front Window

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bdahlfors1, May 16, 2008.

1. bdahlfors1

bdahlfors1 Prius, A New way of Life

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have a 2005 Prius and Love it. My issue is about a month ago a crack appeared in the lower right side. I have had a professional look at it and he said there was no evedence that there was a stone or any kind of impact that would have caused it.
    Does any one know of any body roll issues that might have caused the crack? I have seen body stiffner plates and other stiffining pieces sold as after market so I am wondering if this is a known issue.

Any one have a clue? :confused:

2. Spectra

Spectra Amphi-Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Might just be typical freeze-thaw issues. I had similar windshield cracks in a '93 Honda Civic & '95 Jeep Wrangler. In both cases, insurance covered it with no deductable (no charge to me). In fact, the body shop came out to my workplace & did the work right there.

But if it's a freeze-thaw attack, your 2-3 years of season-change is rather minimal. My cracking occured after 8-10 years of owning the cars.

3. bdahlfors1

bdahlfors1 Prius, A New way of Life

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thats something I did not know about. I believe you are correct that 2 to 3 years is quite a bit early for a freeze/thaw crack. I had a 91 Dodge Caravan that had a simular crack as well, after 10 years. I have called a glass repair shop and will get the window replaced today. I hust hope it's not a body stiffining issue and it happens again.

I will keep all informed!!!! :D

So far I have 60,000 miles and am loveing every one of them.

Bryan

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Sometimes the window is not positioned properly in the opening, with the glass touching the metal in two places. This causes stress on the glass. That would be a "manufacturing defect". The glass is only supposed to touch the sealent/glue and rubber positioners.