1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cracked passenger side mirror

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ibcs, Aug 6, 2007.

1. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Okay please no comments. I was driving out of my garage and clipped the passenger mirror cracking the plastic shell. I noticed they have them on EBay for $69.00. My question is how hard would it be to replace the passenger mirror? Any step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated. By the way, the dealer wanted $325 to replace it.

My other thought is epoxy, but I think it will be very noticable.

Thanks for your time in advance,

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There should be a few old threads about this hanging around somewhere. Did you break the coloured plastic part, or the black part that attaches to the car? So long as it's only the shell you have to replace, then it's relatively cheap and easy. It will be easier to see how the mirror comes apart (and goes together) when you have the new piece in hand. It's simple to squeeze the old one off and pop the new one back on. Are you sure the $325 quote from the dealer was just for the shell, or was that a whole new mirror?

3. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The dealer was replacing the whole mirror, since I cracked the plastic around the mirror. I did not think to search for the answer, since I did not think anyone else would have done something so stupid.

4. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ibcs @ Aug 6 2007, 01:25 PM) [snapback]491337[/snapback]</div>
    Do a search for "Signal Mirror" and look for the longest thread. There is lots of info about removing the mirror housing. If only the body color part is broken, you should be able to replace that without taking it off the door. Anything more extensive will require pulling the interior door trim (an easy job) so that you can unplug the mirror's wiring harness and remove the whole assembly from the door.

- Tom

5. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for heading me in the right direction.

---Kent

6. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ibcs @ Aug 6 2007, 01:40 PM) [snapback]491350[/snapback]</div>
    These may help. Watch the torque on the mirror's mounting nuts - some people have broken the bolt part.

- Tom

[attachmentid=10415]

[attachmentid=10416]

[attachmentid=10417]

Attached Files: