1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cracked rear bumper

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cjindia, Oct 20, 2008.

1. cjindia

cjindia New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi

Was backing out of a parking spot at the local target and saw another fellow behind me backing out too. Tried to pull back in and honked at the guy, but he obviously did not see me. Hit me at the corner of the rear bumper on the passenger side. Cracked the bumper at the corner. Not sure what other parts might be damaged. The bumper clicked back on and looks ok, but is cracked. A couple of questions:
    1. How can I tell if the body is damaged at the back, aside from the bumper. Tail light is ok.
    2. Dont know if the other guy will admit fault (he did to me). If he does not, how much out of pocket am I going to be considering I have to at least replace the bumper
    3. What else can I expect to have replaced besides the bumper?

Thanks
    CJ

2. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    cjindia,

Can't help with the pricing, but here's an exploded view of the bumper and
    associated parts -- originally posted by dogfriend:

http://priuschat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11860&stc=1&d=1224497535

One thing to be careful of is the mounting of the rear lights. Other folks with
    rear end damage have experienced water leaking into the spare tire well
    from poorly mounted lights or slightly twisted body work. The light is held
    on with two bolts and two plastic pins that push in. Apparently it is easy not
    to get the needed seal if things are even slightly off.

Why wait 'til it rains? Consider doing a test with a hose, and catch it early.

Attached Files: