1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cracked Trunk Trim Piece - Not Warranty Covered?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Poseidon, Dec 5, 2023.

1. Poseidon

Poseidon New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Hi all,

A month ago I started noticing a crack on a trim piece on the trunk of my '23 Prius, and later found a few other folks on Reddit that had similar issues. Car was driven normally, but I suspect bumps may have caused that plastic piece to start cracking, which grew over time. I took my car in today for my 10k service, and was surprised to hear that this is not currently covered under warranty, and that (according to my service rep) it would cost 1k USD to fix. The rep did mention they would have their warranty manager reach out to Toyota to see if this is a known issue, but for now, I'm out of luck.

Does anyone else have the same issue with their '23 Prius, and if so, how has your dealer responded?

Pics attached below for reference:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Seems strange that's not covered under the 3 year, 36K mile bumper to bumper warranty. Is the dealership claiming that the damage was intentional or results of contact with another car?

3. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    :eek:

You not only have a crack but also a hole. It sounds like it is very fragile and easily breaks unless you baby it.

See the photo below. It looks like very poor engineering design, with that little piece of plastic taking all the tension and shear stress when you open and close the hatch or perhaps even when you go over a bump etc. I would open and close the hatch very gently on a Gen 5 Prius/Prius Prime after seeing this. I doubt Toyota will honor the warranty, but they will probably claim that you slammed the hatch.

[​IMG]

#3 Gokhan, Dec 6, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2023
  4. Poseidon

Poseidon New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I should have asked, but the rep was friendly and said the warranty manager person was going to check with Toyota, so I did not press any further.

Yeah, funny thing is I have looked online and I'm not the only one with this issue, which makes me surprised they don't have a service bulletin for this already. Check these guys out:

:cool::cool:

Gokhan likes this.
  5. purplePriii

purplePriii Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I've seen on a FB group post that someone had it covered under warranty. Unfortunately, the new piece broke while the dealership was installing it.

There's quite a few people reporting the issue and it is definitely an issue but I feel Toyota will refuse to cover it for as long as they can. That and it looks like the whole part need to be redesigned.

N79PT, Uhcoustic, Trollbait and 2 others like this.
  6. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    That piece is largely trim, and doesn't seem like it should be subject to any huge force unless the spoiler is pushed. Are all these cars non-powered-hatch ones that might be being pushed from the spoiler? Not that there's any warnings in the manual about doing so, and that manual warns about everything.

You can see what's under there in picture 5 in this production line gallery:

写真家・佐藤健寿、プリウス工場を撮る | フォトギャラリー | プリウスジャーナル | トヨタ自動車WEBサイト

There has been a production change there, visible in the manuals. A strip of rubber (or something) was placed between the bottom lip of the plastic and the metalwork starting from 05/2023, according to the parts catalogue: 87B68 = 87268-47050 PROTECTOR.

Actually looks like it has a detailed shape, not just a simple strip of rubber. But it's not shown in the assembly/disassembly in the repair manuals - presumably not updated? I can clearly see it on my car, tightly in the gap.

That could be connected in some way. Was it a water seal that might be increasing stress, or was it an attempt to prevent movement to reduce stress?

#6 KMO, Dec 6, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2023
    GeoJ and AndersOne like this.
  7. HacksawMark

HacksawMark Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    It could simply be a manufacturing defect. The only way I can think of it cracking like that is thru some external force of putting pressure on it like sitting on the hatch etc. Hope they cover it for you.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wouldn't take his word as gospel. Check with Toyota USA yourself?

9. Gourockian

Gourockian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I don't know if this is releveant but when I upgraded from my 2008 gen 2 to my current 2013 gen 3, I noticed a drop off in the quality of some of the internal rear trim parts and also the trunk roller blind. Anything to reduce weight but also cost to the manufacturer.

Gokhan likes this.
  10. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I think you are onto something. Gen 2 was iconic.

Gen 5 doesn't even have a telescopic retracting hatch blind like Gen 4 did. They put an incredibly cheap cover flap that seems to get in the way of everything. That is in addition to the smaller trunk.

KMO likes this.
  11. otatrant

otatrant Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    For reference here is the part number (based on 10 minutes of searching) you can use to price what it would cost out of pocket to buy the replacement part.

Here is a link for a listing with pics of the part on aucfree.com

Lens And Body, Lamp. Tail Lamp. (Rear) $375
    81581-47080

This second price is from the impex japan site. Have not purchased from them myself but others have and reported positive experiences. Takes some time to ship and shippin not included in price I understand.

Lens And Body, Lamp. Tail Lamp. (Rear) $147

[​IMG]

Poseidon and Gokhan like this.
  12. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Shipping cost from Japan will be very high.

You can negotiate the part price with the dealer. The cost to dealer is far below MSRP.

Perhaps upgrade to a light bar if you have an LE/SE while you are at it.

otatrant likes this.
  13. otatrant

otatrant Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    The cost lohikaarme paid to ship a spoiler looks like just $25 which would be similar width. I would check out his post and the rest of his thread on this topic if saving a potentially a $100 or so is a big deal to you.

14. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Call Toyota Corp until they get so tired of you they do something about it. Provide all the documentation you are finding online including photos. I can see maybe the first reporting being considered owner negligence but multiple reports is obviously a manufacture defect. There’s always small claims court too. Good luck!

15. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That's a good deal. When I used to order US-discontinued parts from Amayama, shipping costs were astronomical.

My car is new now, and hopefully there won't be need for any parts other than filters.

otatrant likes this.
  16. Poseidon

Poseidon New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Yeah I am not overly in a hurry to replace this piece, which I understand to be mostly cosmetic anyway. Going back to the dealership in 3 weeks for my second key fob, so I will see if they have an update for me then. I'll also ask for details as to why this is a "customer-paid" repair, since I agree with you all, it seems like a manufacturing defect.

Trunk has not been slammed either, I prefer putting my groceries in the backseats anyway haha

otatrant likes this.
  17. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    You need to ask the service manager to open a case for you. Show them all the other Prii with the same issue. This is the first step.

Kenny94945 and otatrant like this.
  18. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    *sigh* :rolleyes:

The cargo cover on the 2023 Prius is actually an ingenious design, easily folding in half when you don't need it. It's been lauded by testers. And it's not cheap.

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That goes without saying?

Pdog808 and Preebee like this.
  20. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Well, mine automatically folds into a quasi-one-dimensional tube when you don't need it. ;)

#20 Gokhan, Dec 7, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2023