1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cracked wheel - replace or repair

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sas0611, Jul 13, 2015.

1. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am leaning towards replacing my '08 wheel that his a slight crack in it from a pothole. I might consider repairing it but i know little about how repair works and whether it holds up and is safe. So can anyone suggest where I should go to avoid having to pay a toyota dealership $400.00 for a new one. Would prefer OEM. Thank you in advance

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    EBay or craigslist, should be under $100

3. Priusguy78213

Priusguy78213 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, no need to go to the dealer. Try places like JC mentioned; Ebay, craigslist or even a local salvage yard; pick and pull or other outfits. There's really no reason to go to the dealer for much of ANYTHING. They're really overpriced. Pretty much anything you need can be bought elsewhere; either second hand or new much cheaper. Even regular maintenance. Even though the dealer would like you think otherwise ;)

4. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    repairing a cracked wheel is never good. I have seen welded wheels that were cracked on or next to the weld. unsafe at best.

Priusguy78213 likes this.
  5. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank all of you for your suggestions!

Found a wheel in very good shape today locally at a very large junk yard. It was 100.00. If I turn in my cracked wheel they'll give me $20.00 back so the replacement will end up costing me $80.00. Held on to my old wheel because I wanted to use my TPS instead of the one that came with the yard's wheel. I know my TPS works and wasn't sure if there were any issues with the used one. Sure beats $400.00 for a new wheel from Toyota.

A very good experience with this parts yard. At first they brought me a wheel that looked kind of beat up. I said I wanted them to show me another one in better shape. The parts clerk said I'll get a warehouse guy and you can go out with him and pick the one you want. Hopefully the one I picked not only looks great but has no issues.

I would highly recommend anyone considering this parts dealer when shopping for used parts. It's Al's Auto Parts in trevose/bensalem, PA. Phone is 215-322-2199. About 10 parts experts taking phone calls and over 2000 salvaged vehicles on the premises to pull parts from if they are not inventoried already. Tons of transmissions, engines, and body parts.

Tomorrow after the wheel is mounted hopefully without any problems I'll see if I can find a rear hatch outside release at this dealer for less than $300.00 for my wife's prius.

bisco and Priusguy78213 like this.