1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Crackling sound at speeds >30mph

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by alasnik, Jan 20, 2007.

1. alasnik

alasnik Junior Member

Hey there,

It's gotten a bit colder here (well, cold for San Francisco -- about 40 degrees in the morning when I drive to work)... and I've just noticed that my car is making a crackling sound a bit, particularly when I'm driving on the freeway.

It does this whether the defrost/AC is on or not. It's hard to localize the sound; almost sounds like it's coming from the dash, and it's intermittent (not pulsing or at regular intervals)... maybe a tiny pop every 1-3 seconds or so.

To give you an idea of the loudness... I can't hear it with the radio on, but can easily hear it with the radio off.

Any ideas what might be going on?!

2. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Somebody's popping corn in the trunk??

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I would say that I tend to notice a few more cracks and pops when it's cold outside. By cold here in Chicagoland, I'm talking about temps lower than 20ºF during the morning commute. Since Priapus sits outside over night, I expect that plastic bits and what-not get cold. I don't worry about it. Two years and so far no problems.

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Somebody's popping corn in the glove box??

Actually, I think there have been a couple of reports of a noisy steering column, some plastic inside popping when the steering wheel is turned. Not serious, just annoying, particularly in a new car. Take it to the dealer if it's driving you nuts.

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Could it be the little ticks things make as they change temperature? Is the cabin still heating up as you hit the freeway?

6. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Might try pressing on the small trim panels under the tiny windows forward of the mirrors. Mine were rattling. Could alos be the A-pillar trim.

7. alasnik

alasnik Junior Member

Hey, everyone, thanks for the responses.
    'tis not the steering wheel; it continues to sound like mini-popcorns-popping even when I'm heading straight.

I'll see if I hear it again tomorrow morning on the way to work, and if this persists as things get warmer here, I'll take it in to be looked at.

8. easternpoint

easternpoint New Member

You may also want to try tapping your rearview mirror (if you have the auto dimming mirror)...I've had a problem with a rattle in my mirror for several months (initially thought the sound was coming from the dash or glove box).

9. Lcruiser

Lcruiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I hate those crack sounds.

10. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    is there anything in your sunglasses holder near the top center roof of your car?

11. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I noticed that this thread was started about a year ago. Hopefully 'alasnik' was able to figure out where the popping is coming from.:cool: