1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Crash (sorta)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by molgrips, Nov 8, 2006.

1. molgrips

molgrips Member

So someone pulled out in front of me last weekend. I was doing 25mph or so on a crowded street, and the lady in a black Fiat Punto was rolling up to her junction. Except, she kept on rolling right out in front of me. When I realised she wasn't going to stop I slammed on the brakes and the horn. Even with the horn she continued to roll, and I continued to move what with the road being really wet and everything. So I bumped the corner of my car into her door - but only a bit. I thought I should've been able to stop quicker than that, and I swear I heard tyre skidding noises coming from the nearside front wheel... Is this normal if the ABS is working?

[attachmentid=5637]

So we're taking it in to be fixed tomorrow. She of course owned up to everything, which was nice. However - I suspect the headlights are out of alignment now. There's a tiny scuff on the headlight cover, and the wing appears to be perfectly in tact, but when driving in fog last night I noticed the beam from the affected side of the car (that is, the left) was pointing way over to the right.

How can I check this? I want to make sure it gets fixed if it's a problem.

Attached Files:

• bump.jpg
      bump.jpg
      File size:
      109.6 KB
      Views:
  2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    First off, glad that everyone's OK and that it was relatively minor. Make sure it goes into a Dealer's body shop, they use genuine Toyota parts, etc...

I'd say the best way to make sure is to mention it to the tech - make sure they do some sort of headlight alignment as part of the service. After all, it's the ladies insurance paying for it!

3. molgrips

molgrips Member

I don't get to choose where it goes :( The place they are having me go seems a little scruffy, not like the nice Toyota place we went to initially for a quote.

4. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :huh: Can't select your repair shop? I don't know Insurance procedures in the U.K., but in Texas we are able to select our repair shops for body damage repair. At least, we are able with my Insurance carrier.

Sounds as if you might need to research auto insurance conventions there and consider a different Insurance Company to allow selection in the event of major damage. I hope you don't have that problem in the future.

5. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It does seem a little surprising that you can't select your own repair shop...or at an absolute minimum, take the money that the insurance will pay the scruffy shop to do the work, add in a little bit extra, and take it to a place where you're comfortable with the quality.

Not being able to select a shop could be a great scam:
    1. you're in an accident that's not your fault
    2. you go to the insurance company with the claim
    3. they direct you to 'their' body shop for an estimate
    4. 'their' body shop estimates high then does substandard work
    5. the remnant of the money (paid out by the insurance company) is split between unscrupulous people in on the sceheme the body shop, and unscrupulous people in on the scheme at the insurance agency.

I know it's a longshot, but there's something really odd about not having this choice...if just from a philosophical standpoint, I think.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The bumper damage doesn't seem too bad so they should be able to hammer it out. The headlight can be re-aligned so that isn't a problem.

Does the UK get the coolant thermos? If so, that's the location of the thermos where the impact is.

7. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(molgrips @ Nov 8 2006, 12:44 PM) [snapback]345758[/snapback]</div>
    do not know where you live, but here in Calif. you donn't have to go to a place the other party chooses. You can go anywhere you want.

8. molgrips

molgrips Member

I think it varies company by company wether or not you can choose repair place. I chatted with the hire car people who gave me a replacement, and they seemed to think that the repair place was good. The repair people were quite astonished to see a car move without any engine noise though!

They should wait til they see it park itself :)

Got one of these as a replacement though - nice but a little small for putting my bike in the back:

http://www.nissan.co.uk/home/vehicles/pass.../K12/index.html

9. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bhaynnes @ Nov 9 2006, 09:06 AM) [snapback]346303[/snapback]</div>
    He lives in England. Their laws are not necessarily the same as those of California or the rest of the United States.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(molgrips @ Nov 9 2006, 10:20 AM) [snapback]346358[/snapback]</div>
    ooh, a Nissan Micra! That car has a lot of kit for the money, although I assume the hire car is a lower end model.

11. molgrips

molgrips Member

The Micra had A/C but no smart-entry. It was too small for the weekend trip I need to make so they changed it for a Vaxhaull Zafira. I asked for an auto for my American wife's sake but they couldn't supply a big car with automatic transmission...

For the record, the fuel economy display on the Micra said 45.7mpg (UK) on average, for its 1.4l engine. My Prius is faster, about twice the size and I get 57mpg :)

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol. The only way to force yourself to drive a manual is to go to Europe hehehe.

Shh... don't let Jeremy Clarkson hear you. He'll point out that the tiny Lupo 3L gets better mileage from its 1.0 litre diesel!