1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Crash test results and video

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by craigcush, Dec 5, 2005.

1. craigcush

craigcush Member

I found this last year for '04 models now updated, that someone else here posted and perhaps was lost.

I would like to give the original poster credit but I only saved the real player file link and hacked up the link to find the original site.

Note that side impact was without air bags and performed well.

Here is the Prius test data;

http://www.nasva.go.jp/mamoru/english/2005...e/12_prius.html

And here is part of the site that appears to have review with slow-mo video;

http://www.nasva.go.jp/mamoru/english/2005/as106.html

And lastly the main index that is too late in the night for me to explore, got an early start tomorrow. looks interesting;

http://www.nasva.go.jp/mamoru/indexe.html

Someone post right away if these links work for you, using a different browser and not confident of the link drag.

:unsure:

2. craigcush

craigcush Member

70 views and no one gave feedback if the links worked.
    Lots of lurkers or bad links?

I was using a friends old windows98 and just didn't want to leave a nowhere post. Or maybe it is hard to watch a prius give its life for science!

This was the only test site I have seen with slow motion that allows closer scrutiny.
    The normal speed videos seem brutal, OUCH! :(

3. jwe8f

jwe8f New Member

The third link has an index where you select the second link, and the second link has an index where you can select the first link, so I suppose only the top link is really necessary if you just want to look at the movies. The movies ran fine for me, and loaded in RealPlayer.

Gotta be careful passing out links like this though -- these are LIVE videos, which explains why Prii are so hard to find. People keep calling up tests, and destroying all the new production! :lol: :lol:

4. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Terrible, really. So if I'm reading the webpage correctly, these safety tests were done without side airbags? I noticed it said they were "not provided" on the test vehicle. If there were no side airbags, it's interesting that the vehicle still scored really high marks on the side-impact crash test.

5. craigcush

craigcush Member

""Gotta be careful passing out links like this though -- these are LIVE videos, which explains why Prii are so hard to find. People keep calling up tests, and destroying all the new production! ""

:lol: :lol:

""So if I'm reading the webpage correctly, these safety tests were done without side airbags? I noticed it said they were "not provided" on the test vehicle. If there were no side airbags, it's interesting that the vehicle still scored really high marks on the side-impact crash test.""

That was one of my points. Has to be better with the bags. Love this car! And I have survived a totaled prius. Mad as hell, but alive.

I put up the other links so the site could be researched further, lot of links to tests.

Thanks for the feedback :)

6. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ah, why yes, it was one of your points. Guess I should read the entire post, huh? :)

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  8. craigcush

craigcush Member

Glad you brought it up though. The more it is mentioned the more prospective buyers visiting the site will be able to make an informed decision. There have been too many threads asking about safety, crash wise and "will I get electrocuted?" based on rumors perhaps from the Darryl's and Larry's. (No offense to any individual name, they were misfit cast members in a comedy, ie:meant in fun) :p

On the braking test link:
    Some of the cars had a pretty short braking distance, perhaps they were smaller and lighter cars.

9. emizzion

emizzion New Member

well, we should know that is only ONE test thats really real... NCAP
    http://www.euroncap.com/index.php

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I agree. Have you noticed how the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety in the United States copied - with permission of course - the NCAP test regime?

http://www.hwysafety.org/ratings/protocols...otocol_high.pdf