1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Crash testing, tire info, airbag info and more.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Three60guy, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ever wonder how your vehicle stacks up? See this informative site just chuck full of good info:

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

Hey the Prius makes 4 out of 5 stars.

Cheers

2. ntender

ntender Junior Member

2006 Prius gets 4 out of 5 stars for all categories. But the 2005 Prius gets 5/5 frontal star rating for driver. Why the difference? Is it something to do with the change in airbags? I'm disappointed because when I bought my 2006 Prius I thought it had a 5/5 rating (guess this was based on old info from previous year model).

3. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As a former Volvo driver (and my wife and son still drive 'em), I'm not fearful for safety in the Prius.

Test results provide comparison numbers, just as the EPA fuel ratings allow for comparison among vehicles.

In a real-world collision, the damage and injuries are influenced by a bunch of random factors. The test results can give you a general feel for one car's safety over another, but they're no guarantee of anything.

Huge factors that affect accident survivability are never even part of the test: Where do you drive? What times? How fast? Do you look far enough ahead to perhaps spot the situation one second early? Are you always aware of "escape" routes along shoulders or into the weeds?

Naturally, we're not superhuman drivers: we can't predict the out-of-control car coming toward us. So we do what we can, staying alert to the world outside the car.

4. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

I am also hugely disappointed that the 2006 Prius is LESS safe than the 2005 and 2004 models. This is definitely moving backwards and it may have impacted (no pun) my decision to get a 2006 instead of a 2005. There is no excuse for making a later model car that is LESS safe than its predecessors.

5. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Can anyone think of a reason why it is rated lower this year rather than last year? Heck, it is the same dang car. What changed? Think about it?

Hmmmm

I wouldn't use this as a reason not to get one.

6. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ Apr 1 2006, 02:35 PM) [snapback]233498[/snapback]</div>
    How about the testing procedures? Have these changed?

7. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbarnhart @ Apr 1 2006, 04:15 PM) [snapback]233473[/snapback]</div>

If anything I would argue that the 2006 is MORE safe in reality that the 2005 with improved airbags and VSC, yadda, yadda, yadda... This difference in crash saftey ratings is likely the result of something done differently in the testing procedures... I have done a boatload of research into the Prius saftey systems before I put my deposit down and I would feel much safer in a prius than in most other cars... And I drive a 2002 VW new Beetle now, which consistently gets top saftey marks (I know, I have been rearended in it an a year later I was in the middle of a five car pile up, so I take saftey very seriously!) There is a video recently posted around here from Portland Ore. a couple days ago of a head-on collision beteen a Prius (2nd gen) and a ford explorer or some other big suv, and the prius held up much better than a car nearly twice its size.... EDIT:: Heres the link to that article from portland http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=17811&hl= All the crash/crumple zones did what they were designed to do and kept the passenger cabin intact... its always a shame to see a prius get banged up but it is better to see the passengers survive...

8. EricGo

EricGo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbarnhart @ Apr 1 2006, 05:15 PM) [snapback]233473[/snapback]</div>
    Test variability, or an actual change to the car ?

9. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2004 Prius did extremely well in the Euro crash tests. It actual is just as safe as a 3 series or C class. It does very, very well.

10. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I Had the Same Impression so I Wrote to the NHTSA!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ntender @ Apr 1 2006, 11:27 AM) [snapback]233395[/snapback]</div>
    The NHTSA tests a "stripped" Prius without air bags and electronic stability control; so I e-mailed them:

My 2006 Prius (and most sold in the USA) is equipped with side air bags, full side air bag curtains and Electronic Stability Control. The tests you ran on the 04, 05 and 06 Prius were on "stripped" cars (no air bags and no stability control). Have you ever tested the current Prius model equipped with side air bags, side air bag curtains and Electronic Stability Control? Will you?

Is there any way to calculate the effect of my added safety equipment on the tests you ran on a "stripped" Prius?

I'll let you know what I hear.

11. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

It could be that they raised the bar on the testing ... So the scale changed.

I'd be curious to know what really made the differance.

I switched from an 04-> 06 and it added VSC and dual stage air bags. That should count for something i hope :-p