1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

crashed -- HID headlight issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by san mateo, Jul 10, 2006.

1. san mateo

san mateo New Member

(total newbie here)

i just bought a slightly crashed 2005 package 6, which i believe has HID headlights, and which i am exciting about getting running and using. the driver's side headlamp is crunched beyond repair. looking on ebay, etc., i see the non-HID headlights are available, while the HID ones are not. but replacement HID bulbs abound on these same fora.

(1) can i just buy the non-HID headlight assembly, and put the HID bulbs in it?
    (2) more to the point: what is the cheapest and best method of replacing the headlight assembly?

any assistance greatly appreciated!

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    you can be sure you have HIDs by looking for a yellow warning sticker right behind the assy under the hood.

it sounds like you'll need a new housing but not a new assy, check out autobeyours.com, they have some scrapped prius parts. you can use the computer you've got in there and get a new bulb if needed too.

3. san mateo

san mateo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 10 2006, 03:46 PM) [snapback]284130[/snapback]</div>
    thanks for the pointers; i think i should wait until the manual CD i ordered off ebay shows up so i know the difference between an "assembly" and a "housing", and why a computer has anything to do with headlights :)

4. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

HID lamps are leveled using info from a sensor on the rear axle. Halogens are mechanically-aimed only.

5. san mateo

san mateo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KTPhil @ Jul 10 2006, 04:45 PM) [snapback]284159[/snapback]</div>
    cool! is this because they are more focussed and need better aiming? or just more expensive and have high-tech aiming bundled?

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Because they're bright and if not aimed properly, blinding to oncoming traffic.

7. RichBoy

RichBoy New Member

you got ALOT of fender poundin to do, and alot of wrench turnin, part orderin and on and on & on before you get it back (if ever) to orginal factory specs