1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CrashTest : Prius gets 5 stars at EuroNCAP

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by philippe, Jun 24, 2004.

1. philippe

philippe New Member

2. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm intrigued by the sentence "It achieved five stars following modification to the driver’s knee impact area."

Are they saying that Toyota agreed to make changes to the design after the test to get their 5 stars?

3. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Is there a translation thing here?
    What's the Pedestrian Protection rating? Are these the passengers? In the illustraions, the middle image is labelled as a Passenger, not a pedestrian.

5. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Pedestrian crash ratings deal with how 'friendly' the car is if it hits a pedestrian.

The images on the page all represent car occupants not pedestrians. There doesn't seem to be one for a pedestrian.

Pedestrian Friendly cars are a relatively new concept. It's like the discussion about whether big vehicles need to have a bar at bumper height so they don't roll over smaller vehicles or so smaller vehicles don't slide up under them in a rear impact.

Now that we have occupant safety fairly well understood and engineered, they are expanding the concept of 'auto safety' to include the people and vehicles around you.

If a car is 'friendly' to pedestrians, they won't get hurt as much if you hit them.

Badly designed cars tend to break pedestrians legs and then cause head/torso trauma.

I presume the Prius doesn't do as well there because of it's aero design. It has a relatively 'sharp' point out there.

Europe is much more concerned about pedestrian safety than the US, presumably because the close quarters and narrow streets in Europe results in more cars bumping into walkers.

6. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In the US cars are designed (mandated) with a "knee bolster", which I'm guessing is a padded area under the steering wheel, to help support an UNBUCKLED driver. In Europe these are not used because seat belt use has been mandated for a longer time and their usage rate is higher. They feel that these "knee bolsters" do more harm than good with a belted driver.

Peter
    Miami, FL

7. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Now that there's a crashed Euro Prius with a perfectly good rear end, does anyone have dibs on the rear disc brake aseemblies? :-P

Glad to see our car did well in their testing. Has any agency (US, JP, EU) tested side impact with side airbags?

8. bookrats

bookrats New Member

My understanding is that the US tests were done without the side airbags.

Nice to see the improvements that occur when you're in a model with side airbags.

9. Batavier

Batavier Member

The EuroNCAP tests was with side airbags and curtain airbag, since they're standard in most European Prius.

10. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

I saw a History Channel special on cars or car safety or something about a week ago. Some of the footage from inside a test car on side impact were. . . insightful. Suffice to say, there's no way in hell I'm ever buying a car without side impact airbags.

11. jchu

jchu New Member

I believe that NHTSA has mandated that all cars have side airbags starting in 2006

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    some interesting info from an insurance lady i deal with at work.

head on colisions are no longer that hazardous. in 2002 in 1100 headons with total speed of 75+ mph fatalities occurred only in 11% of cases when both vehicles were new. the weight ratio of the vehicles didnt change the stats one way or the other. also over 90% of fatalities were in crashes in the 120+ mph range.

however. in side collisions where the colliding car was doing at least 25 mph, fatalities occured 23% of the time making side impacts by far the most dangerous. side air bags reduced fatalities by 75%

i was amazed that that low a speed kills so often.