1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Craving a manual. What are the ods I'll ever have a chance at finding a stick-shift gen 1 Insight?

Discussion in 'Honda/Acura Hybrids and EVs' started by Isaac Zachary, Jan 19, 2023.

1. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So I love hybrids and EV's for the way they work, not for the way they drive. Even a Tesla Plaid doesn't appeal to me. Give me a 40hp whatever, but as long as it has a stick shift. (And yes, I've owned more than one car with around 40hp, and all of them were stick shifts).

The closest thing to a car with both a manual transmission and a hybrid driveline that I can research and that was sold in the USA was the Gen 1 Insight.

But I don't see any for sale. It doesn't seem like it was a very popular car. And who knows how hard finding parts would be. Could I convert the battery to use Toyota cells???

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It was a little two seater. Even the more publicly desirable sports models don't sell in big numbers.

The gen1 Civic hybrid was also available with manual. Pretty sure that was one of the models with abused batteries though. The original Insight may not have had the software abusing the battery, but the manual made it possible for the driver to do so. Honda eventually dropped the manual option from the Insight and Civic for that reason.

If you don't mind a little less power and reduced fuel economy, the Insight can be driven without the hybrid system.

The issue I see with using the prismatic cells is in that the case and cooling was designed for cylindrical ones. Spec wise, the cells should just swap one for one; there isn't much variance in the chemistry. Modifying the case just likely isn't worth it when the cylindrical cells are basically off the shelf C's.

Cars.com wouldn't let me search farther back than 2010MY. Direct googling is more likely better than going to the main car selling sites. Found this site that way, https://www.smartmotorguide.com/cars-for-sale/2001-honda-insight

Isaac Zachary likes this.