1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Crazy Californias

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BitShifter01, Jul 2, 2005.

1. BitShifter01

BitShifter01 New Member

Ok, So I was up in San Francisco wrapping up the JavaOne conference when I decided to rent a car and make my way down the Coastal Highway down to LA. (I'm from Ohio). I must say, you have a lot of people who drive like a bunch of freakin idiots :). Why is it everyone drives 5 miles under the speed limit and in the far left hand lane? Once I got off of US 1 and on 101 and 405 I must of passed 400 cars in the the left hand lane. If you were to drive in other cities like Miami someone would kill you for being so stupid :). By the way...I was extremely amazed with how many Prii were out on the road. I wish I could of brought mine out too, but the 3000 mile drive would of been horrible. Also, at Big Sur, I spent 3.39 cents/gallon. Can we say price gouging. Overall though, I really enjoyed my trip. Now I'm down in LA.

Peace,
    Bit

2. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

It is well known by locals that holiday weekends are "maximum enforcement periods" when all vacation and leave are cancelled, so every officer available is on the road looking for drunks and speeders. Other than the occasional whackos, most will drive near the limit at these times.

Highway 1 is the coastal route, and driving south (rather than north) you are on the cliff side, so many drive more slowly than the limit both for safety and for sightseeing (which after all, is the only reason to take that drive instead of US-101).

3. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yo! BitShifter dude . . . chill.

What you undoubtably experienced is the ultra liberal contingent here in Northern California who feel it is their right to be as far left as possible - both in politics and driving. It is their (non God given) station in life to dictate how others should all conform to their ideals of a one tiered society. How dare you drive in a manner, and in a vehicle which demonstrates your superior status and symbolically shows how you are leaving everyone else behind.

You paid $3.39 in Big Sur? You, as an unknowing outsider, paid a premium above what the locals pay . . . for the privilege of treading on their space. If you would have reeked of patchouli oil, BO, and reefer you may have received the locals’ price without uttering as much as a single coherent word. :mrgreen:

4. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Right on Suffring...that's what the problem is in a lot of places...some people think they just own the land .....

5. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Man, again the sarcasm just flew circles above and past your head.

6. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

What ever ...I just agree you folks are somewhat ........eh shall we say "driven"

7. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Me too! Did you happen to attend the Java Web Framework smackdown?

8. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, for me on the freeway, going 75 in a 65 is WAY TOO SLOW!!! I get ran off the road if I drive too slow. :)

9. ReneGS

ReneGS New Member

Yeah unfortunately CA is full of left lane vigilantes. :x

Anyone else wonder if that has anything to do with all those shootings that happen up in LA on the freeway. I actually believe it does. Some inconsiderate person pisses off the wrong person and BAM :guns: they get one in the head.

I'm sure its the same elsewhere but here we have a lot of people that have no business (IMO) being on the road. Some examples are people doing 20-35 while getting on the freeway. Then they cut others off without any regard. I'm not saying that people should treat the on ramp like a launching pad but they should definitely understand the meaning of the word "merge".

10. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Only in the land of the fruits....california..what can I say. Here in Houston Texas, you get run over if you go 70 on I-10., when there is no trafic jam. Most outside of towns go 85...I set cruise at 70 and get over to the right, unless I want to die...

11. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've lived and driven in Silicon Valley for nearly twenty years, and I'd say just as many, if not more people are just oblivious to the fact that everyone around them is driving 10-20mph faster than them, and passing them on all sides.

I've got a very non-PC theory on why there are so many bad drivers in this area. I think most of the bad drivers didn't learn to drive until a very late age. I believe that learning to drive when I was 15, and surviving all the stupid sh*t I did as a teenager (trying to hit 100mph at least once on the way to and from school every day, etc.) has made me a better driver today. I'm comfortable with speed, and I don't panic when tires lose traction and the car is moving in a different direction than it's pointed.

I remember the first time I drove in Boston. I got up to about 65mph to merge onto a freeway and I was going about 15mph slower than traffic in the slow lane. I had to call my boss back home and tell him I was going back to the airport to rent a faster car.

Hey, at least where you live they're moving. I've seen drivers *stop* on the on-ramps here, not moving for minutes at a time, paralyzed with fear. You want to ask them, "How the hell did YOU get a drivers license?"

12. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    IALTMANN: “Right on Suffring...that's what the problem is in a lot of places...some people think they just own the land .....â€
    Funny thing; When I was typing my “Yo! BitShifter dude . . . chill†post - to which IALTMANN replied - I said to myself, “Now watch, someone is going to misinterpret the sarcastic portion of this post. Sarcasm does tend to go over many heads.â€

So what happened? It was misinterpreted. Not only that, it was misinterpreted by someone who then has the insolence to berate someone else for not getting it right!

NuShrike, interpreting sarcasm properly does not mean twisting its meaning to fit ones own needs. Doing so only demonstrates ones narrowmindedness. Maybe you ARE “driven.â€

How dare that Buckeye come here to California and try to bully us around on our own roads! (Now THAT is sarcasm!)

13. bethmaup

bethmaup New Member

priusenvy, I guess you would approve of the officials who denied my English daughter-in-law her license the first time she took the test in England. The reason was that she did not drive aggressively enough. I'd probably never pass there, although I'm far less chicken than I was before. Age I learned to drive has nothing to do with it--I got my license as a farm kid at 14 because I was a farm kid. I actually learned to drive on a tractor.

Beth

14. ReneGS

ReneGS New Member

Haha yeah I've seen that too. People stopping on the freeway simply because they missed their exit. Heck just the other night there was some jack a$$ going in reverse! Honestly I think we need to have harder testing like they do in Europe. I mean honestly, here you aren't even really required to be able to read.

Just the other day I was at a four way intersection. The lights weren't functioning properly so they were blinking red. This wanna be cool guy in a suburban would not move. I don't know was just plain stupid or scared to go. I sat behind him for 4 minutes. I decide to go around him. While I'm trying to turn he finally decides to go. He honk the horn at me and then drove all aggressive as if to try and intimidate me. :roll:

The one thing that really bugs me are the lookey loos. In your entire life have you not seen an auto collision?!?! Do you really need to stop (on the highway) just to see the two vehicles on a tow truck. :cussing:

15. BitShifter01

BitShifter01 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy\";p=\"103715)</div>
    Funny thing; When I was typing my “Yo! BitShifter dude . . . chill†post - to which IALTMANN replied - I said to myself, “Now watch, someone is going to misinterpret the sarcastic portion of this post. Sarcasm does tend to go over many heads.â€

So what happened? It was misinterpreted. Not only that, it was misinterpreted by someone who then has the insolence to berate someone else for not getting it right!

NuShrike, interpreting sarcasm properly does not mean twisting its meaning to fit ones own needs. Doing so only demonstrates ones narrowmindedness. Maybe you ARE “driven.â€

How dare that Buckeye come here to California and try to bully us around on our own roads! (Now THAT is sarcasm!)

Looks like you have more than just one person confused by your comments....Sarcasm or not, I was not bullying you Californias I was just making an obviousy point. I agree, in Columbus, we have morons stop on the on ramp because they are terrified of I-70 and I-270 :guns:

I do not have road rage but I can not stand when people travel in the left hand land regardless of where I am. So you really think I could of gotten a discounted price even though the gas price was stated 3.39? I think I just paid a premium since they were mainly the only gas station in 50 miles :)

16. BitShifter01

BitShifter01 New Member

Actually I wanted to attend that session but I was out too late the night and did not make it in for the session :). JavaOne was saying they were going to make all the sessions available to download for those who attended JavaOne. Do you know what the link would be? How long you been doing Java. I was the lucky winner who took away I free PSP from parasoft :). I also have a new geeky woredrobe when I return to Ohio :)

Regards,
    Ryan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26\";p=\"103625)</div>
    Me too! Did you happen to attend the Java Web Framework smackdown?[/b][/quote]

17. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BitShifter01\";p=\"103747)</div>
    Yes, they do give a discount to locals. Pachouli, B.O, and reefer. That is the only way you would have convinced them you are local. That and not saying something . . . well . . . non-local and with an accent.

I just make sure I have plenty of gas when I drive through that area - With a Prius that is no problem. :)

No, I wasn’t accusing you of bullying California drivers. Sometimes, even I would like to slap a few of them up side their head . . . but I might break their cell phone. :wink:

18. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BitShifter01\";p=\"103578)</div>
    We may be crazy, but at least we know how to use proper English.

The phrase Could of is bad English. The correct way to express the possibility of doing something is Could have...

19. T1H1X38

T1H1X38 New Member

My other half lived in San Francisco (Northern California Bay Area) for about 13 years before moving down to Los Angeles. According to my other half and other Northern Californians that we know, they (Northerners) tend to drive in a more "relaxed" fashion.

Drive in Southern California? Watch out!

20. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy\";p=\"103755)</div>
    Tough to do when you're traveling... or when you move down South from the Midwest, as in my case :lol:

If you can't properly use the term "y'all" (I figured it out eventually) and can't speak with an unintelligible drawl (or understand those who do), people know you're only here to go to school.

I'm learning slowly how to imitate the accent but it's tough to maintain without losing my composure :)