1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Crazy Driver Rant

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by alexstarfire, Aug 29, 2007.

1. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

Kinda wondering if we could just make a sticky so we can all vent our rage on bad drivers.

Anyways, on the to take the GF to work today some @sshat in a Ford Expedition apparently couldn't lift his foot off the gas pedal and tailgated EVERYONE. Even had the nerve to honk at me when I'm going 1-2 MPH over the speed limit. Then as he drove by, was insulting the Prius. Luckily I wasn't paying too much attention, but I heard them mention the Prius. He also damn near flipped his car when he went around a guy too. Tire didn't lift off the ground or nothing, but it ain't supposed to sway like that. Best part yet was that by the time I reached my destination I had passed the guy, all the while staying speed limit or under.

I'm also curious to know if there is a way I can turn the guy in to the cops. Figured it'd be a good idea to remember his plate just in case I could. I live in GA just so you guys know.

2. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alexstarfire @ Aug 29 2007, 11:17 AM) [snapback]503768[/snapback]</div>
    Check and see if your state has an aggressive driver hotline (or something like that). We have one here in NJ. You can dial #77 from a cell phone to report aggressive or erratic driving.

I don't know how much it gets used, but it exists.

3. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Aug 29 2007, 10:24 AM) [snapback]503770[/snapback]</div>
    That's a great idea. I wish Texas had an AGGRESSIVE drive hotline. I get passed at least once a week on a 3 mile stretch of road that has a continous double yellow line. The road is a narrow two lane rural road lined with trees and drop-offs on both sides. I ALWAYS get passed by a pickup or SUV which usually tailgates me for a while before passing.

4. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I have the backup camera, but I wish I also had a dash camera to record these folks and turn them in for a complimentary ticket. Would be nice if it worked that way.

5. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alexstarfire @ Aug 29 2007, 11:17 AM) [snapback]503768[/snapback]</div>
    Yup... GSP will try to take down anyone if you call 911, actually. I've done it a few times on 75, with only one person pulled over. The problem is that you're not always guaranteed that an officer is in the area. Another problem is that some 911 operators don't appear have concern about the aggressive driver, just tell 'em you thought you might have seen the driver holding a beer can. It's deceitful, but if anything it will get a near by officer to _look_ into the problem.

H.E.A.T. is also in effect until the end of this weekend for Georgia.

I hope you've seen the now defunk'ed T.A.R.D site? http://tardsite.com

6. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

A little off topic here. Latest near miss was a Green Mitsubishi. One of those real small cars Mitsu's and old. It pulled in fast next to me as I was waiting at a light just off the highway. And then sprinted out around and ahead, as I was behind traffic. Then it tried to do a quick merge into my lane, and something broke in the suspension I think. It ended up on the side of the road with both front wheels folded under, and skid marks diagonal across both lanes of traffic from it. Luckily it was 4 cars ahead of me, and I was gliding into a red light ahead, so that was even more margin. All I saw was a car hit its brakes, and swerve to the left as the green car went off to the right.

If the Mitsu suspension would have let go as he came down the ramp, he might have slid right into me, rather than over the curb into a grassy ditch.

7. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Heh. Probably a ricer suspension lowering hack-job that wasn't
    done right and fell apart on him.
    _H*

8. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ServoScanMan @ Aug 29 2007, 12:53 PM) [snapback]503823[/snapback]</div>
    A half-century ago (during the tailfin era), I read where it was easy to identify a bad driver in Texas. Apparently, if someone drove too aggressively, as they were passing, someone would put a couple of rounds into their tailfin. So, if you saw someone with bullet holes in the quarter panels of their car, you knew the kind of driver they were.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You should just leave a dashboard-mounted camera in the car if occurences such as the one you described are a common occurence.

10. bobdavisnpf

bobdavisnpf Member

You can call 911, and you might as well. Some aggressive drivers are just as likely to call in those who catch their attention. If they've called and you haven't, your car is the one with a ding in the police database.

11. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There's a number that I've used. Problem is that I can't remember it now. There used to be a commercial on the radio here in Chicagoland saying that if you see a drunk driver use your cell phone and call #nnn but I'll be danged if I can't remember it.

12. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 30 2007, 01:05 AM) [snapback]504171[/snapback]</div>
    Not familiar with any programs in the US, but in Ontario Canada the public is encouraged to report bad / drunken driving with their cell. It's a free cell call.

Googled the following link maybe of interest:

http://www.reportbaddrivers.com/

this is more regional in Ontario, Canada: http://www.drps.ca/internet_explorer/whats...iew.asp?ID=2554

report impaired drivers in Ontario:
    http://www.oadd.ca/raid_orillia.htm
    call *OPP (677) - I believe you also report bad drivers by calling: *OPP (OPP is Ontario Provincial Police)

Around here the OPP has been promoting the public to call in racers; eratic and aggressive drivers; impaired drivers. They are in the media not only to promote but state that a lot of their tickets were as a result of the public calling in. Hopefully you can find similar programs in the US.

Drive safe this long weekend and always :)
    Gabe

13. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prius 07 @ Aug 30 2007, 03:39 PM) [snapback]504452[/snapback]</div>
    The best place is http://platewire.com/ There are lots of local police that hang out on the forums.

14. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudiger @ Aug 29 2007, 09:23 PM) [snapback]504099[/snapback]</div>
    Sometimes I wish we could use paintball guns to mark the bad drivers. :lol:

15. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yesterday, 2pm, as I was going West on a one lane highway (55speed limit), I saw in a distance, this red car (coming East) towards me, was in my lane trying to pass a white taxi, obviously the taxi was going too slow for his liking. I took my foot off the accelerator, being cautious here. It seems that the red car should have already passed the taxi, yet it did not....the taxi must have increased its speed, yet the red car was determined to still pass it. I started to decrease my speed, and keep more to my right, as close to the rail as I could. Quick calculations in my head told me that this is not good, that I need to start braking. Now, the taxi and the red car were going nose-to-nose, neither one giving in. At this point, I was getting really worried, so I pressed down on the brake and came to a full stop, and within seconds, the red car passed the taxi, probably as close as a few feet in front of me. I couldn't believe that I just witnessed this total careless, crazy reckless driving. Anything could have gone wrong, with a little sway from either car, this could have been one big collision, and probably with me in it. I wish I had a passenger with me, just so he/she could have written down the license plate of the red car....I was just too uptight and I was in no position to do it myself. Hope that I never experience anything like this again.

16. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would have done all that *and* leaned on the high beams, in an
    attempt to get the passer to give up..
    _H*

17. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You know Ranting about it may seem nice, but the real issue is the horrible drivers. And until the powers to be make everyone retake the drivers test, make them read all the new rules. nothings going to do any good unless you shoot them. ;)

18. orracle

orracle Whaddaya mean "senior" member?

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 30 2007, 12:05 AM) [snapback]504171[/snapback]</div>
    Isn't it *999?