1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Crazy shoots 12 dead and injures 25

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by GrumpyCabbie, Jun 2, 2010.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not sure if multiple shootings are rare in the US, but here they're unheard of. We've just had a big occurance here (about 100 miles from where I live);

BBC News - Cumbria shooting rampage death toll reaches 12

What causes someone to do this? I can understand someone perhaps shooting a cheating business partner or cheating spouse in the heat of the moment etc, but why would someone continue on to kill many more people at random?

There have been many cases all such occurances round the world over the years and there was a big one over here about 20 years ago in a town called Hungerford [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungerford_Massacre]Hungerford massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]. After that the government reacted (probably over reacted) and banned hand guns completely! You can still get shot guns and other rifles, but automatic rifles are banned and the rules and restrictions on getting a fire arm are very very strict. Yet despite this, the nutters still find a way of getting guns to kill people in multiple shootings.

In the US you have a much more relaxed attitude to guns, but does this make multiple shootings more common place or will the responsible gun owner always be responsible and the nutter will always get the guns for their rampage whatever restrictions apply?

1 person likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think we have qutte a few, relatively speaking, and i attribute most of it to psychiatric drugs. we refer to it as "going postal". sad.:(

3. jsmithy

jsmithy Hypermiler and Freedom Lover

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Uhhh...we have the second amendment to the constitution. I grow tired of gun control discussions.

4. Jimmie84

Jimmie84 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Just remember, It's NOT the "gun" that causes it, It's the person pulling the trigger.

5. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I agree.
    In most of the recent mass murder suicides starting with Columbine ,the murderer was using psychotropic drugs.

6. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    My main concern about these murder-suicides is the time-order of events. Shouldn't the suicide be first?

1 person likes this.
  7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, this is a highly contentious and polarized issued here too.

8. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    But the point I was trying to make is that it isn't the gun that kills, it's the crazy pulling the trigger. The US has an open attitude to guns and they are I believe available at some supermarkets? I'm sure there majority of gun owners are responsible. Here guns are exceptionally difficult to get hold of, but despite this if a crazy wants a gun he will always find a way to get one for his rampage.

So you have relaxed gun laws due to your constitution (rightly or wrongly and certainly not for me to comment on) and you have mass shootings.

We have very very strict gun laws and yet we still have mass shootings. I'm sure there will be calls to completely ban all weapons here now, but even if we did the crazy would always find a way.

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No, guns are definitely NOT available at supermarkets. But, I always hear in the media that they're easily available at gun shows due to Gun show - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. (I don't know the details as I don't follow this stuff and am not political.)

In the Virginia Tech massacre, the shooter that killed 32 people in a day bought his guns legally at a gun store and the quick background check turned up nothing. Where Cho Bought His Deadly Weapon - TIME

10. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Look up the lists of mass murder, massacre, and just shooting in your friendly Google references and you'll find incidents of these kinds happening all over the planet across the last century.

What stands out is how the United States compares to the rest of the world in firearm mayhem: it eclipses the entire rest of the planet combined in sheer quantity of incidence. At 5% of the world's population, the US suffers more than half of all the incidents worldwide, and that's just incidents that make it to the press.

Now why would that be?

What differentiates the United States from the rest of the world that its citizens would suffer firearm carnage at a rate greater than the entire rest of the planet?

The gun faction will claim it isn't guns by the hundreds of millions available at the corner super, oh, no, it's bad people pulling the trigger. But for that argument to hold water it would require the citizens of the United States to be almost a separate, more violent species of human being, less capable of dealing peaceably with the vicissitudes of life than the rest of the world. I don't think that's a viable theory, either biologically or psychologically; besides, no US citizen would accept such an assessment of himself.

Well, the discrepancy has to have SOME explanation. Logic would count the number of guns in the country compared to the rest of the world and make an inescapable inference: confronted with a difficulty, a human being without a gun will find some other way to cope, while the human being with a gun might think he doesn't have to. The evidence fills graveyards in every locality from the Atlantic to the Gulf to the Pacific to the edge of Canada.

What the "Guns don't kill, people do" faction fails to recognize is that such inept logic also equates to "Nuclear bombs don't kill, people do". A weapon is a weapon, whether a stick or an a jet propelled air force, and a man with a weapon may believe it powerful enough to use without repercussion.

Even in the United States it is not legally possible for private citizens to possess fully functional automatic weapons, grenade launchers, stinger missiles, tanks, battleships, fighter aircraft with functioning weaponry, submarines, or any of a wide range of armament. If "Guns don't kill, people do" were truly a sufficient check on our tendencies toward violence, there'd be no restriction on what a private citizen could keep as a personal arsenal.

More or less wisely, even in the US we draw a line between a stick and a nuclear bomb and say beyond this line we don't trust people to behave responsibly, the damage that would be inflicted would be too heavy to permit the risk.

At the moment the line is drawn at the one round per trigger squeeze percussive implement. The damage it causes can be horrific, but we apparently consider that level of carnage acceptable, even though it's far above what the rest of the world will tolerate. We've taken the word "arms" in our constitution to mean "one round per trigger squeeze percussive implement" even though it doesn't say that, it just says "arms", and could be just as logically taken to mean "nuclear submarine with MIRV tipped missiles" or "sharp stick", and built over time the mythic notion that a man isn't a man unless he's got a Glock in his pants.

Take a look at what turns up in Google search lists. There is no escaping the grisly arithmetic they portray. And be thankful you reside in a country where, when the occasional nut lets loose with an illicit gun, it only happens in your country three times in a century, not three times every three months as is about the rate in the United States.

4 people like this.
  11. AkustaVirtaa

AkustaVirtaa Sähköistäjä

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Like in China, where any guns are almost impossible to get...

"Man stabs 28 children in China nursery school attack"
    BBC News - Man stabs 28 children in China nursery school attack

12. halpos4

halpos4 "Taxi"!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Taxi Drivers...eh!!

13. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hmmm. I did think that when I saw it. :eek:

Are taxi drivers more predisposed to such outbursts? We do appear to be involved more in such things, or do I just pick up on it because of my occupation? I suppose truck drivers get a similar bad press. Is it the hours alone on the road? The stress of the traffic? Listening to the moanings of our customers? Or do we have some inferiority complex because we do the job we do?

Or is this too deep a question and do I really want to know the answer :eek:

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    sorry to hear your situation. as far as the US we probably have a dozen mass shootings every year. last fall, 20 miles down the road from me, an idiot walked into the local doughnut shop and killed 4 City of Lakewood, WA police officers... ya, armed officers doing getting together for coffee before the start of their shift...

its one thing to gun down unarmed innocents, but to take on trained armed personal is beyond lunacy. i find that as the middle class rapidly fades away and the divide between the "haves" and the "havenots" widens while the ability to provide basic needs becomes a monumental task, we will only see more of these events.

this past winter, 15 miles in the other direction from me, a guy was laid off from his job. he went home killed his wife and 4 children and put a gun to his head. its hard to even imagine why he thought that was the only solution. as for me, i have been in pretty dismal situations. i have lived in my car, been evicted for inability to pay rent, i have stood in line at the food bank, etc. you name it, i have done it.

but people do crazy things and will continue to do so.

15. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    15 minutes of fame and forced suicide. The media makes a big deal out of these things, and the nut cases see it and think that they too can be a big shot (so to speak). Likewise, once you kill the first person your fate is pretty well sealed, so it makes it easier to carry out your plan to kill yourself, or in some cases, commit suicide by cop.

It depends on your definition of supermarket. Many of the big box stores in our area carry firearms in the sporting goods section. You can pick up some groceries, new pajamas, and a 12 gauge shotgun at one convenient location.

If you just want a firearm there are plenty of hunting and fishing stores, or dedicated gun shops.

The comment about gun shows comes into play as a loophole for getting around many of the gun laws. People selling guns at gun shows are not regulated as tightly as those working from a real store.

Tom

16. halpos4

halpos4 "Taxi"!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There have been cases of Taxi Drivers committing suicide here in Dublin,it's one of those professions that are in the higher risk...sitting around for long periods on ranks with maybe too much time to think about things...that's why i don't sit on ranks,i'm sure all it takes is for a few factors to collide and one might feel that there is only one way out,
    And no,i don't think it's too deep a question and those answers might..just might help you sometime.

17. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I remember after my divorce I was in a low situation - my only belongings were what would fit in the back of the old Cherokee Jeep I had. No house, no job and certainly a way of finding out true friends, but even at my lowest ebb, I never thought of running amok and killing innocent people.

Perhaps there should be an escape route open for people who do think such things to catch them before they more onto acting them out, or do they happen so quickly that it wouldn't stop them?

Just such a waste :(

18. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I know what you mean. I try and chat on the phone or meet up with other drivers for a chat in really quiet periods - and there are more of those lately :( but if I had a guy working for us who was in big trouble or suicidal, I'd hope he'd come and talk with me or one of the other drivers and I'd try my hardest to help him out any way I could. Some problems can seem impossible when you're in the middle of them, but can usually be easily sorted and certainly not worth taking your life over.

19. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    People are not rational beings. We have a big brain which is capable of employing logic to solve problems, but we seldom if ever behave logically. And that big brain can go haywire sometimes. The process of evolution requires mutation, and most mutations cannot survive. Where we exceed other animals is in our adaptability, but that adaptability arises from differing response to situations by different individuals. Just as genetic mutation usually is fatal, so also an adaptable brain will sometimes follow a self-destructive path, and sometimes that path will be more widely destructive.

In other words, these things will happen because of what we are.

On the other hand, environment plays a tremendous role in shaping our behavior, and the U.S. is a very violent and individualistic culture. We race to war much more eagerly than most countries, and we are much more enthusiastic about killing people we hate than are most cultures. More than most other cultures, we see killing people as a way to solve our problems.

Bowling for Columbine noted (surprising to me) that gun ownership is as widespread in Canada as it is in the U.S., and yet the murder rate is many times greater in the U.S., and came to the conclusion that a factor is the culture of fear in the U.S. Citizens of the U.S. tend to be more afraid of their fellow citizens and the world in general than are Canadians.

So combine desperation due to personal circumstances, defective brain function, a culture of fear leading to a me-vs-them mentality, and a shoot first, ask questions later cultural predisposition, and the result is the occasional rampage. The surprising thing is that with 350,000,000 (???) people in the U.S. that these things only happen about once a month.

20. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Daniel, I'm not so sure the U.S. is that much more aggressive than other countries. We were reluctant to join WWI and WWII (altho we take a lot of credit for ending those wars). We have thrown our weight around since then, but we have a lot of weight to throw, comparatively speaking.

On a more individual level, our media sensationalizes any mass or serial murder. We have maybe 3 events a year where more than 4 people are shot (just a WAG), but that's always big news. China is facing the same thing with their recent copycat killings of suicidal people taking a knife to a day care and killing a bunch of kids before themselves. They can control the media however, and recently stopped reporting those events, it'll be interesting to see if that ends now. We also need to treat mental illnesses more seriously, and hospitalize people who can't take care of themselves and may become violent. That's not favored by the Republicans however as it's expensive.

If you look at the list of top mass murderers, the U.S. has 39 of the top 190 killers, according to their various charts. Which are actually pretty interesting, according to that the last 40 years are a couple orders of magnitude more violent than the previous 80, but it could be just better record keeping. In the mass murder category, Uganda and Indonesia have several entries; workplace killlings it's U.S. and Russia; school killings it's U.S., Germany and China; hate crimes has a lot of entries from Israel, not surprisingly (although they don't include terrorism in this page). South Africa, France, U.K. and Yemen also show up more than expected in general for the population (just by casually eye-balling it).

The Canada aspect you mention is interesting. I imagine most of their personal arms are deer rifles and birding shotguns, as opposed to handguns (which work best in close quarters, ie. against other people). If a Canadian doesn't like people, they have a lot of room for solitude up there, that might count for something.