1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Crazy XM Radio Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by hankpink, Dec 19, 2011.

1. hankpink

hankpink Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi All-

Brand new owner of a 2008 Prius - Very excited and having a blast driving it already!

Anyway, I doubt this would work, but figured I'd give it a try anyway... I pulled the Pioneer GEX-P920XM XM Satellite Radio out of my old car - it was attached to a aftermarket Pioneer radio...

Any chance it will work with the factory radio in my Prius?

I know it's a long shot, but figured I'd ask!

Thanks for any advice you may have...

2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Crazy idea, but, sadly no!
    The XM unit for the Prius communicates with the HU so it can accept commands for tuning, and send data to the MFD.
    Good news, you can buy one at the Prius Chat shop and install it your self. It's a plug and play install! You can leave the antenna inside as the installation instructions suggest, but I would mount it just behind the FM Antenna! I did, it was not bad, took about 4 hours for the install!

3. hankpink

hankpink Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I figured it would not work - but in photos, the port on the back of the stock radio looks like it migh accomodate the plug of Pioneer unit... I thought I just might luck out! ;-)

I guess the cheapest option would be to find an aftermarket Pioneer head unit that is compatible with my XM... Or I'll just bite the bullet and get the Toyota XM gear for the stock radio...

4. supra90

supra90 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    There is a toyota xm interface to be use only with pioneer xm tuners
    it works with almost all toyota radios from 1998 to 2004 but i believe the part is not compatible with prius contact the manufacture precision interface i believe the part number is TOY-PCPIOX good luck hope it works