1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

creaking and squeaking

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Priusmpg, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have a pip which is about 2 months old and has around 6056 miles on it
    i had a 2010 prius hatch before this drove it 186000 miles with out even needing to change the brakes and it didn't have any of the following symptoms
    ever since i drove the pip off the lot i have been noticing allot of creaking in the plastics inside the car and squeaking the cup holder and the dash it all got worse once i installed trd lowering springs i now this is happening due to road vibrations but should i take it to toyota and tell them that it feels like all the plastic pieces are lose inside the car and broken.

2. DtEW

DtEW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What did you think lowering springs were going to do? All good and no drawbacks?

3. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No I knew of the stiffer ride and more road noise but plastics being weak and getting loud is stupid I've lowered other car and they don't sound like they are falling apart and it got worse it was there when I took it form the dealer. My regular prius didn't do this back '10

Turn off signatures in Tapatalk Tapatalk

4. DtEW

DtEW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I obviously don't know the exact level of squeaking you're suffering from (it would take experiencing your car firsthand to know)... but this has been my uniform experience stiffening suspensions, including a 2nd-gen Integra GS sedan and a Is300. This is one of the reasons why chassis braces sell despite dubious benefits. People hope it would avoid the squeak and keep the car as solid as it was stock.

5. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So a chassis brace would help?
    I have 840$ in my car mods savings

Turn off signatures in Tapatalk Tapatalk

6. DtEW

DtEW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was about to edit my prior reply to note that this also might be a PIP-specific issue, as Consumer Reports did rank the regular Prius as being really reliable and problem-free, while the PIP (and other plug-ins) wasn't nearly as well-regarded.

In terms of chassis braces... it's uncertain. In my IS300 when I was tuning it, it was fully-braced out with with two TRD subframe braces and a TRD RSTB. But my moonroof never stayed tight and creak-free.* In all fairness, none of those braces could have done much to control the torsional flexing of the passenger compartment (which was what was going on) short of a full cage, given that I was running gray-market Tein RS's (piggyback reservoir monotubes w/pillow-balls) and 22kg/mm fronts and custom-fabbed 18kg/mm rears.

In other words, I don't know for this car, and for this level of tune. Maybe ask around on the Modifications and Accessories forum?

* - trying to deal with that was how I found out how ridiculously heavy a moonroof is, any why I made the decision that I wasn't going to ever ask for a moonroof again unless it was on a super-overbuilt luxo-barge.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have no pip squeaks, but there are a ton of threads here about 2010 squeaks.(n)