1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Creaking noise after catalytic converter replaced

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Brenden Truman, Apr 29, 2024.

1. Brenden Truman

Brenden Truman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had the incredible misfortune of having my catalytic converter stolen for a second time last week off of my 2015 Prius. I took it to an auto body shop and had it replaced with an OEM catalytic converter. I’ve been driving it the last few days and I’ve noticed some weird creaking noises when I am accelerating or decelerating under 10 miles an hour with the ICE engine off. It especially happens when accelerating with the electric motor for the first second or so, and also occurs when the car gets stalled on a bump, and I am using the electric motor to try to get over the hump, but the car isn’t moving. It’s more of a creaking noise than a squeaking or squealing noise.

I have tried pushing down on the car over each wheel to see if it is the suspension which doesn’t reproduce the noise. It also doesn’t seem to be coming from the brakes as most of the time the noise occurs when my foot is completely off the brake pedal. I can reproduce the noise when the car is parked and I rock the car. It seems like the noise is coming from where the catalytic converter is seated underneath the car. I also threw the car in neutral and tried to roll it which resulted in a clunking sound which I haven’t noticed before. Does anyone have any thoughts on what could be happening? I am not super mechanically inclined, and don’t know if it is something related to the catalytic converter not being tightened or overtightened, or if it is lingering damage from when the idiots that stole the cat jacked up my car and were messing around. I appreciate anyone’s thoughts, I’ve had a rough week and am about at my wits end!

2. Danno5060

Danno5060 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Sorry to hear about your issues. The really sad part is that they probably can only sell those catalytic converters for

Bring it back to the body shop that did the work to see if they got it fixed right. It depends on how they replaced it. If they just replaced the catalytic converter part, they might have welded together the pipe where it doesn't hang quite right.

Maybe open the hood and see if your new noises are related to the engine wiggling around. Catalytic converter thieves aren't careful with the other parts of your car either. Maybe it's a heat shield or plastic underbody panel not hanging right. Shops tend to only fix what you tell them to.

You've gotta get underneath and see what kind of repair was done, and what else might have been damaged by the quick removal of your converter. Also check to see if there's any damage caused by how they lifted the car.

So sad to say they did that much damage.