1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Creaky Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusJay, Jan 6, 2007.

1. PriusJay

PriusJay New Member

My Pri is about a month old. Since new, I notice that when I first sit in it, I hear a creaky sound coming from the chasis. Has anyone else noticed? It does not affect the handling of the car at all.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusJay @ Jan 6 2007, 09:43 PM) [snapback]371921[/snapback]</div>

Please refer to the multiple recent threads in FHOP on dieting! :D

sorry, couldn't resist....

I would suspect these will go away w/ time as your car breaks in. If not gone by your first oil change bring it to the attention of your service dept....perhaps something on the chassis needs lube.

3. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jan 6 2007, 10:19 PM) [snapback]371973[/snapback]</div>

I agree; Anyway, have the dealer put it up on the hoist and do an inspection. Could be something loose or damaged somewhere. This can sometimes happen during shipment from Japan.

4. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusJay @ Jan 6 2007, 10:43 PM) [snapback]371921[/snapback]</div>
    Ah! Someone else who has a similar problem!

I also have a "squeak" sound that could be described as you wrote. In my case, it is most prevalent if I park the car on a slight incline without the footbrake, and as I release the brake pedal the car creaks a bit as it settles into place. Likewise if I gently rock the car from outside. The squeak is virtually gone if the parking brake is engaged, as the car does not move at all. It does sound like something needs to be lubricated.

I have had this creak since I received it in April (demo car w/6K KM) and I am now at 33K KM. I had it at the dealer last week for my 32K maintenance, and mentioned this issue to them, but they couldn't find where the sound was coming from... <_<

BTW, they had to replace a "transaxle drive shaft seal" that was leaking slightly ( :eek: ), but it does not seem to have made a difference with respect to the squeak. At least it was warranty work...

Please keep me posted about your findings, I would still like to get this annoyance fixed. Perhaps I should visit a different dealer.

Thanks.