1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cream cheese, lox, on toasted sesame bagel

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Sep 19, 2009.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ok,

I've twice gone to the same bagel store and made the same order:

1. I washed my hands and when I came back, they had to pick-out the lettuce and tomato but left the capers
    2. They handed me a cream cheese bagel ... no lox ... the manager put the lox on
    Next time, I'm going to take a sketch showing exactly what I want and then ask the clerk to tell me what they think I'm ordering. Maybe I should just bring my own lox and cream cheese and fix it myself.

How hard can it be?

Bob Wilson

2. neilz

neilz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Re: Cream cheese, lox, on toasted seed toast bagel

Wash your hands before ordering and hang around to supervise.;)

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Assembly lines and special orders don't usually play well together. I find I have to be very specific no matter what I order. On the bright side, most restaurants seem far more sensitive to food allergies and special requests than they used to be.

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've frequented small, locally owned deli's where they prepare your order right in front of you. Otherwise, you may very well have to DIY

5. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    make it at home, its always better...

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think I might have said to them, "Oh, no, I'm sorry. This isn't my order. This must be somebody else's. I ordered thus and such." And after it happened twice, I wouldn't return there.

Can you actually get bagels in Alabama? Since leaving CA I've never lived anywhere you could get bagels. Just doughnut-shaped bread. But then, bagels are no big deal for me. I'm happy with a good 100% whole-grain bread, preferably from a bakery.

7. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Re: Cream cheese, lox, on toasted seed toast bagel

It's because you ordered one with sesame seeds. Those evil little seeds are hypnotizing the workers to get it wrong.

Rat bastards.

On a completely unrelated note, I am deathly allergic to sesame seeds.

8. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Make that order here in Brooklyn and I am 100% certain you'll get what you want. It's quite a common thing to be ordered on a bag around here...

I've had good bagels in other states, really I have, but there's just something about how they're made here in NYC that sets em' apart...

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That means you can't eat halvah!?!?!?! You poor unfortunate soul! I weep for you.

NYC is one of the few places where real bagels exist. There are places in L.A. that have them also. But then, as I said already, I can take them or leave them. It's just that when I buy a "bagel" here I know that all I am buying is doughnut-shaped bread. Sometimes it's good bread. Even very good bread. But it's not bagel.

10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Bob, in your town I see Brueggers as a potentially good choice. Unless that's where you went! Wouldn't mind a fresh bagel myself, from time to time. Got the reice and noodle thing covered though :)

11. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like a lot of bagel places outside of New York skimp on or don't use high gluten flour.

12. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Bagels are boiled. Here, and many places, they just make doughnut-shaped bread and call them bagels because of the shape. Sometimes it's good bread. But it's not a bagel.

That said, I'd rather have 100% whole-grain bread than a genuine bagel made of white flour.

13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That is the place!!! But it is over in Jones Valley, which is the Huntsville version of where 'valley girls' come from.

One interesting thing about my recent kidney stone incident, there were days when I felt a general malaise even though the stone was gone and I'd stopped taking the meds. Then I realized that the last time I'd felt like this my electrolytes were all catty wampus. So I got a bowl of Vietnamese pho and by the time it was done, I was back to normal (or as close as I ever get.)

I suspect you've discovered a number of Chinese 'soups' that are meals by themselves.

Bob Wilson

14. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    The Chinese food stories can wait for another thread. As it happens I was in Hanoi a couple of months ago and the pho was mighty good. Best food is alledged to be in HCM city though.