1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Credit Card Grrrrrrr!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by pogo, Feb 1, 2007.

1. pogo

pogo New Member

So this is where I come to vent. For the period 2004 - 2005 my primary credit card was declined 3 times because of "activity that doesn't fit your normal spending patterns". My normal spending pattern is that I use it for everything I buy and pay it off every month. In this case "normal spending pattern" means over $1000.

So I log on to look at this month's activity last night and see transactions I don't recognize. I called up and someone in Indianapolis is using a card with my account on it. We closed tha account.

So three times I've had problems because of purchases I tried to make that didn't seem "normal" but simultaneous charges in Tucson and Indianapolis don't even cause them to call me and ask.

But, wait, there's more. Since my primary card was canceled (remember, I don't carry cash -- everything is on the card) I pulled out my backup. Went out and made two purchases, then stopped for gas. Card declined.

Seems that we hadn't used the card for months and now there's activity. Oh well. It's so convenient.

2. pogo

pogo New Member

So, today's update. You may remember that our hero had called the CC service number and found that there was a "security hold" on his backup card -- verified the charges he had made and was told that the hold was removed.

Imagine his surprise when he went out this AM to fill up and found that his card was declined.

Since the gas station was only two blocks from the bank whose name is on the card, I decided to drop by.
    Met a vey nice branch manager (about 20 years old -- sorry, I'm 60 and my agism is showing) who called the CC service guys. They told him, as they had me, that there was indeed a block on the card and they would immediately remove it. We left and went back to the QuickStop, where our card was instantly rejected -- back to the bank. The kid called the CC security guys again -- eventually he told me it was fixed. (I'm cutting a lot out here, and the kid is really a good guy, but he may be working for a BS company.) Went across the street to immediately try the card. It worked. We went on our way and bought two more items. Ended up at the local Asian market where our card was declined. Called the kid to let him know things weren't peachy.

Called CC fraud prevention folks -- conversation was about what you would expect -- i.e. they couldn't actually understand what I was so upset about -- it's all for my protection.

Bottom line -- when the kid VP called back he had called his regional manager and they had both talked with the CC folks who told them that my account had a "no clearance" note on it. According to him this was fixed and honest I really can use my card now.

We'll see tomorrow --

To recap -- I tried to use my backup CC. I made 3 purchases and it was declined on the 4th.
    I called and was told that every thing is OK.

Tried to use the card and it was declined.

Talked to bank manager, who talked to CC guys, and they told him it's okay.

Tried to use the card and it was declined.

Bank manager called again and was assured that this time it is fixed.

Used the card 3 times. 4th time was declined.

Called bank manager, called CC fraud prevention guys -- cursed a lot and abused people who couldn't do anything about it (I know that's wrong, but it's hard to remember when you're that pissed.)

Bank manager called to say that he and his regional manager had talked to the CC guys and eventually they told him the problem was that there was a "no clearance" note on my account meaning that the hold could not be cleared -- he says this is fixed. More when I try to use the card tomorrow.

Daniel -- I know. The missus and I had already been discussing the need for a different bank for reasons unrelated to this latest fiasco. Now, however, the kid bank VP has honestly tried hard enough and impressed me enough that we may keep trying -- Heck, if the Donald can give a bimbo a second chance, why shouldn't I do the same?

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'd say you need a new bank. I use my primary card for most large purchases, and my second card for all internet purchases. I, too, pay off in full every month, or sometimes more often, since I can do it on line. I have never had my card declined. Twice my card has been used for a relatively small charge that was not mine. I attribute it to someone reading or copying the card number wrong over the phone, since my bank told me a thief would probably try to deplete the card as quickly as possible. On-line banking means I find such charges within a day or two.

I think you should call your bank to ask on what basis your card was refused, and if you don't get an answer that satisfies you, cancel the card and get a new one with another bank. A small, locally-owned bank where they actually give a darn about their customers, might be best.

4. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Reminds me of one time I bought my tickets to Europe on my First USA Visa, I booked the hotel on First USA Visa, I bought new luggage with my First USA Visa. When I get to Europe, I try to use it - they did leave a message back home saying it was refused because I didn't tell them I'd be in Europe. Fortunately I had a backup card from a sane bank.

First thing I did when I got back to the U.S. was cancel my First USA Visa.

5. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

My CC use is not in any way random.

American Express has done me right a couple times over about 7 years or so that I've had them. I have a few things like my toll road ipass transponder that auto-bill to my amex, then I use it for what I would call my higher-risk purchases.

Last month I bought a laptop battery from keybattery.com. They charged my card but nothing else happened. Amex was awesome to give them a swift kick in the butt on that deal. By the way, this is a plug for keybattery. Never buy from them.

If I go to the grocery store/resteraunt/lowes, I use my checking debit/credit as credit, never as debit. I check this daily online to watch the charges come across.

Gas and sams club stuff goes on the discover card.

They all get paid off at the end of the month. This system allows me to keep track of everything in containers where there won't be any odd $65 charges slipping through with the herd.

Amex is the only one I solidly trust to fix me up if something goes wrong. Maybe discover would, I'm not sure... my bank... I have zero faith in them doing the right thing.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hmm. we've got washington mutual cards. we used one of them for all trip expenses to go to our friends' wedding in key west about a year and a half ago, and they called my cell phone after 3 days and about $500 in purchases that they didn't think were consistent with our usual purchasing patterns. otherwise, never a single problem.

i would also be pissed off in your situation.

7. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This is too FUNNY, Not really!

I see this about once a month, Bank issues a duplicate card number to another member in another state.
    If reported to the bank, they will reissue a new account number. They have insurance that covers the loss of customers moneys incase of fraud or ect.

a comon practice among credit card skimmers is to slide your card through a palm reader and copy your info from your card onto another card.

And your non the wiser until you get the bill.. :angry: