1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Critical error messages when Techstream ran health check!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by AdamD, May 11, 2024.

1. AdamD

AdamD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone,

I had a bit of a scare and I'd like to share and ask for input on what happened.

2004 Prius, good working order.
    GoDiag GD101 J2534 USB ODB2 cable
    Techstream 17.3.xx on Win10 32bit laptop (clean install).

Plugged into ODB cable to car and laptop, got Techstream to see car OK. It saw engine, and just needed to know it had a smartkey
    Once at Techstream homepage I poked in/out of some modules... then ran a health check or scan (can't recall what exact wording is)
    It started scanning modules... gave a counter of total and number it had scanned.. was going to take a few minutes.
    Maybe 1/2 way through the scan the dash made a loud beep and the red triangle and ABS light lit up solid.
    Also my MFD showed the PS and a car with an ! (see pics) and Techstream said it lost connection.

Car would still move.. engine would turn on/off based on pedal angle, but it only showed the battery powering the car.. no charging or engine power to wheels.

I unplugged the ODB2 adapter and turned off car.
    Turning car back on, same errors visible. I was beginning to freak out.
    Turned car off, looked online for a bit for options.... few min later turned car back on...same errors.
    I shut car down and went inside to cool down. Maybe 30min+ later I decided to put car in garage while I could.
    To my surprise, car started without errors. When I made engine run, it started charging the battery.
    Today I put 50-75miles on it doing stuff locally... no issues.

So, what happened?!?!??! Any thoughts?

I really want to have Techstream work.. but am afraid to use it on my 2004 Prius... let alone my wife's 2017 highlander that I want to do a bunch of stuff to (trans/diff fluids, brake flush, plugs, etc)

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First time I've read of anything like this... Maybe @ChapmanF has some thoughts? If I had your experience I'd of disconnected the 12v battery for a few minutes to reset all the systems back to original. Same thing as when people tell you to try turnoff your computer and starting it again to fix it. Most computers prefer this method of fixing them...

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    When Techstream (or any other diagnostic software) interrogates a Prius, it needs to communicate with several different computers in the car.

Not all of the modules in the car speak the same language as each other, so the software and the hardware interface need to be able to flex into a few different communication modes throughout the course of a full scan.

Techstream is good with this, but not all J2534 hardware interfaces can swing through every mode required by a Prius. I suspect this is your problem, based on your report that the setup was able to begin a scan but blew out halfway through.

Consider a different interface and/or driver.

I doubt this has done any lasting damage to your car.

PriusCamper likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    And this is on a generation one the end of the 2003s the little coupe I've never seen that red PS next to my screen in my generation too and I've seen all the red blocking the car and shading the car and everything that gets discussed here so I'm thinking this is the older last of the generation one's which they are known for doing some funny things at times then given that was the car that started the dream it's quite possible that tech on laptops and various drivers may not be a thing. The real deal maybe but I'm not sure about the versions everybody's using or wants to use but I've seen this happen on the 2010 right here in the driveway pretty uneventful brought up a whole bunch of nonsense it made no sense for what we were doing at the time resetting the car put it right back to where it was and that was that.

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope, it's a Gen 2.

6. AdamD

AdamD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, sure do! I was thinking of pulling the 12v next, but it seemed to recover after being off for 30+ min.

7. AdamD

AdamD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll try futzing with it, but will prob return and get another j2534 cable in the end.

8. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Your VCI claims to have "similar functionality" as the Tactrix open port 2.0 - for about $25. So it's a cheap clone (with a pretty housing) and could be glitchy.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

AdamD and Brian1954 like this.
  9. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The hardware reviews are not great on Techstream. When you consider there will always be 5 star reviews from suspect buyers….

IMG_5080.jpeg IMG_5081.jpeg

10. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I've had many a cheap Chinese junk do similar to pri. One was a Walmart 12v socket splitter, another was a cheap bt obd2 dongle. I got lucky that there wasn't permanent damage from these cheap PRC made fire hazards. Not worth the risk. Run like he11 from Chinese peripherals