1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Critique of WeatherTech Extreme-Duty Floor Liners

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Aegison, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Aegison

Aegison Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Received my WeatherTech Prius Extreme-Duty Floor Liners -- front and rear passenger, but not cargo area -- a while ago, and thought I'd pass on my impressions of them. For the record, I have no relationship to them etc.

These are simply the best winter floor mats I've ever had in decades of driving. When installed, you have full horizontal coverage of the floor. But, the mats also have high sides, fit perfectly to the contours of the floor, which come up far enough that a lot of slush or melted snow can accumulate without spilling over on to the carpets.

They are a perfect fit for the floors and, for example, don't interfere with the gas door lever. They also fasten to the oem hooks used for Toyota oem floor mats. And no, they don't seem to me to come anywhere near the gas pedal.

I've tried other winter mats in the past, and they tended to have various channels & ridges. But when I got into the car with the residue of a foot of snow on my boots, it melted and got to the underlying carpet. The problem was the absence or the effective vertical sides of the mats -- which are only practical on mats designed for an exact fit to a specific car.

I think my carpet is pretty safe with these mats. The only possible necessity may be to vacuum or blot up the accumulated fluid if there's a lot of it. I have a very small $24 wet/dry vac I bought at CVS for that task. Should do it anyway so it doesn't let any water evaporate & foul up the inside of the windows.

Didn't get the one for the hatch area, so can't comment on it.

2. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My only complaint with similar mats in my truck are that they fill up with liquid which sloshes around and gets the back of my pantlegs wet. So I couldn't decide if I prefered carpet mats which soak up some of that but get all dirty and moldy, or having a lake in the floor of my car. I still haven't decided, which is why I haven't purchased the WeatherTech mats. They need to put in a drain tube that gos out the door or something.

3. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, they're not to high up on the dead pedal, so if you actually put your foot there when there's snow on it, water (from snow) can get trapped under the mat on the carpet.