1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cross Country Moving Tips

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by peggyr, Jul 8, 2007.

1. peggyr

peggyr New Member

Hello Everyone!

Sometime in January, my boyfriend and I will be moving from our current home in Portland, OR to his hometown of Brooklyn, NY.

We will be driving our Prius across the country with a few of our valuables, and will have a moving company truck the rest of belongings for us. As both of us have grown up on the "coasts," we decided to make a vacation out of our cross country commute.

Because there will be enough chaos happening around the holiday season in itself, I am trying to plan out some of the logistics of the trip/move now to avoid worrying about them later.
    • Does anyone have an cross country moving tips?
    • The most direct route is the "OregonTrail" (northern route- through Yellowstone, Mt Rushmore...), however the weather in January will prevent us from seeing some of these sites. Should be opt for a longer, southern route?
    • Does anyone have a good experience with a moving company? I don't need them to come pack up my stuff. I can do that- I just need them to truck it for me.
    • Do you know any "must-see" sites that we should visit during our trip?
    Once we choose our route I might have to seek the advice from fellow Priuschatters on affordable hotels in their areas.

Any and all ideas and suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!
    Peggy

2. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peggyr @ Jul 8 2007, 02:26 PM) [snapback]475181[/snapback]</div>
    If you do go through Rapid City, be sure to visit the Chief Crazy Horse sculpture in progress near Mt. Rushmore - it's a much more inspiring monument than that overrated quartet of presidents. If you can afford it, donate $300 to the operation and get a tour up on the unfinished arm where you can stand next to Crazy Horse's finished 80' high face and get an appreciation for the enormous scope of the project. Hard to believe the sculptor began the project with a single hammer and bit, "single-jacking" one by one the holes for placing the dynamite charges hammer blow by hammer blow. His family carries on the project today with modern donated equipment (some of it new), making visible progress in weeks instead of years.

Hope your move is both an adventure and a non-adventure in all the right places!

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

3. peggyr

peggyr New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Jul 8 2007, 06:09 PM) [snapback]475243[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the tip, Mark! I don't know if we'll have an extra $300 to spare, but I most definitely would want to visit the Chief Crazy Horse sculpture even if from a distance. I believe my grandfather took a picture of it years ago when he was in the area, it would be great to take the same picture from the same perspective as his, to compare the progress over the years.

Thanks again! :)