1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cross country trip advice.

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by albokay, Feb 2, 2011.

1. albokay

albokay New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Own a 2002 with a little over 151000 miles in it. Moving from California to Massachusetts. Was thinking about just driving the car. Good idea? If so what should I have done to the car to prepare for about a 3200 mile trip.

I'm not mechanically inclined so I'd have to take it in for the work.

Also I do run into "big hand syndrome" while driving but don't have the cash to fix the pedal before I make the trip.

Any advice?

DROIDX ?

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With all of the snow they are having in Massachusetts, maybe you want to consider selling the car in CA and buying a 4 wheel drive when you get to MA.

3. albokay

albokay New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd be going in March so I was planning on driving it then right before the next winter just trading it in for a 4 wheel drive. I'm hoping to miss the snow.

DROIDX ?

4. freidawg

freidawg Prius Recycler

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Aside from a good overall check of the vehicle (brakes, oil etc etc) here are a couple of specific things that I would make sure were done on my Gen 1 before heading out.

1) Get the transxale oil service done before you go. (unless you know it was done in the last 40K miles)
    2) Get your inverter coolant pump checked.
    3) Make sure you have good tires. The Prius really needs good tread to perform well in the snow.

Eric

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I took long trips in my Gen2 Prius and in the one I have now and they are pretty good cars on a trip. I found the drivers seat uncomfortable after the first few hundred miles each day so plan on stopping to stretch and limber up every so often.

As far as the car is concerned, if it will be due for oil and filter change before you get to your destination I would have it done before starting. Check all the fluid levels, i.e. both cooling systems, and brake fluid, fill windshield washer. Check the engine air filter, replace if needed. Check the tires including the spare, make sure all your tire tools such as jack and lug wrench are there. I carry a tire pressure gauge and check the pressures each morning before I start out.

Even in March it could still get cold so throw in a heavy coat, wool socks, gloves, stocking hat, etc. Always a good idea to carry some drinking water.

Have a nice trip.

6. albokay

albokay New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all the advice. Will make sure to have all of that stuff checked.

DROIDX ?