1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cruise control based on load not speed

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Robsquatch, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Robsquatch

Robsquatch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure if this should be under the technical section but is there a way to modify the cruise control to be set to a position on the hsi and not based on the speed. After all it is all electronic.

PriusCamper likes this.
  2. Robsquatch

Robsquatch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I wish my 08 had that, I rarely use cruise on the highway because I have my foot on the go pedal in a very specific spot as to achieve great fuel economy. My speed fluctuates but I don't care.

4. Robsquatch

Robsquatch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Exactly my point. Staying in shm or gradually slowing on the hill and accelerating on the downside would be cake. Also less battery usage. It seems like a better and perhaps easier mod than putting a lift on a jeep. I'm sure I'm not the first to think about it and it's probable already been done somewhere.

5. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This would most likely be a software change. Almost no one is willing to contemplate fiddling with the software in a Prius (even if there were any easy way to do it, which there isn't). You best bet is convince Toyota to do it. You have my support for that.

6. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Or even better, you set top and bottom speed and car would pulse and glide for you :) Using only the most efficient pulse at a given speed.

7. Robsquatch

Robsquatch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After further research which I should have done first this topic has been hashed out a few times in the past. I still haven't found a mod that someone has done

8. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes!!! If only you could change some wires and have Cruise control focused on keeping a steady MPG rather than a steady speed... Yet another reason why we need open-source programming for cars! Of course without access to Toyota's source code, this most likely isn't gonna happen!