1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cruise Control light flashing - TCS on/off Radio Volume auto up/down

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TBurnham, Nov 21, 2012.

1. TBurnham

TBurnham Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just goes to show you that you should never drive out of state for a holiday - lol
    About 2 months ago ('06 Prius - 386K) 12v battery was replaced - red triangle disappeared and everything has been fine. ( I have driven the car about 7K since replacement).

Now on my 2800 mile trip for Thanksgiving the following is happening. With Cruise Control on and functioning - freeway traffic comes to an almost halt (5-8mph) after traffic picks up Cruise Control light on dash is flashing and will not function. (Pull over and re-boot the Win95 machine - and everything is back to working until next slow down). I am now driving on a service road to my hotel at approx. 25mph and as I go over every patch in the asphalt my Traction Control light comes on and then off and it makes the car act like it is on ice ( and yes the Cruise Control light is back to flashing). On my journey on this 5 miles of access road then my stereo volume starts going up and down all on its own. If I try turning the volume knob nothing happens. I push the knob in and then push on the knob to come back out and then the volume knob works and then the volume control on the steering wheel starts to work as well.

I tried several searches but have not found anything that matched the symptoms. HELP ?
    is the car going through melt down or just another electrical component nightmare ?

I have to assume that this is three separate problems ? brake pedal sensor, MFD ?
    (My brake lights are coming on when I press the brake pedal - however I have been noticing that sometimes you have to press the pedal farther than normal to see the battery usage to stop on the battery meter on the MFD). I did stop at the local stealership for a code scan - and they said that it was clean with nothing found - Ugggg

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Those problems have all been mentioned separately here, so maybe it's just time for "trouble comes in threes".

The radio controls are known to get intermittent:
    2006 Prius - Steering Wheel Button Issues / Radio knob issues | PriusChat
    It is perhaps a fractured trace on a PC board, but I haven't seen anyone with real positive identification.

The Traction Control has been mentioned coming on with bumps:
    loss of braking while going over bumps??? | PriusChat
    One thing is to check all tire pressures and make sure they are close to the same. Small variations in tire radius can set the system off.

As for the cruise control:
    Cruise control (CC) - re-engaging NOT working every time ??? | PriusChat
    I never use mine so can't comment, but others no doubt will.

3. TBurnham

TBurnham Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you so much for your fast response. Perhaps what I should have said was that I was unable to find the links with my smart phone since that is all I have with me on this impromptu trip. Early this morning I checked the air pressure in the tires and reset the monitor to match it. It is now acting weird when I use the heat. But I think that I can survive all of this with a little patience until I return home.

4. Joe 26

Joe 26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Try checking the system voltage with the system in ready mode. Should be 13+ volts. Perhaps there is an inverter issue. There is a link on this site about how to do it without a voltmeter.

5. TBurnham

TBurnham Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a new 12volt battery installed as of a few months ago. I did check the voltage from the MFD diag menu and everything seems fine.