1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cruise Control Not Deactivated By Braking

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by eglmainz, Nov 3, 2009.

1. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have been trying to recreate a situation which concerns me in regards to the Cruise Control. I have a 2010 V, with Nav (not Advanced Tech), and I am a able to regularly, while in CC mode, set to a given speed, to reduce the car speed with the brakes, and when I let go, the car lurches back to my set speed. I noticed this a few times in the first 15,000 miles, but now I seem to feel it a lot more.

The way to see if your car does this, it to set the car to a given speed. I have tried this at 25, 35, 55, and 70mph, all with very similar results. Once you have your speed set, very gently place your foot on the brake pedal. Then, using only slight pressure (like you may be covering the brakes in anticipation of slowing down), you will see the HSI indicator move from the right side (let's say the 1/2 way mark), into the regen braking area as I press my foot slowly. The SET light remains lit. This will slow the car a few miles per hour, but you will feel the car trying to get up to the set speed.

If you then let go of the brakes, you will see the HSI zoom back to at least the 1/2 mark, or more to get you back up to speed. I am not sure what is happening here, as I do not have an easy way to confirm if the brake lights are being triggered.

My suspicion is that it is because the brake pedal electrical switch (which must activate the brakelights) has a different sensor, which is set to a different sensitivity, and does not trigger at the same time as the brakelights. Or, it is possible that the physical braking begins slightly before the brake switch is triggered, causing the vehicle to not sense electrically that I am pressing the brakes.

As I do this test, if I press with any 'real' pressure on the brake pedal, the SET light will turn off, and the CC is deactivated, as it SHOULD. What worries me is that I am able to slow down by five or more miles per hour, without deactivating CC, and it will lurch back up to that speed if you let go of the pedal. ON a highway, I almost nudged into someone due to this, as I slowed, then relaxed my foot off the brakes.

Has this happened to others?

2. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It takes more brake pressure to release cruise control than any car I've ever had. I've learned to tap the pedal firmly to release rather than just pushing down slightly. That releases it before the brakes have a chance to apply and keeps the passengers heads from lolling about.

3. KCPrius

KCPrius Member

I have noticed that the cruise control requires a pretty significant amount of pressure on the brake pedal to deactivate. I haven't noticed that I slow down and speed back up...just the it doesn't disengage with a slight tap on the brake.

4. claridiva

claridiva New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have never had the CC reactivate itself after pressing the brakes, which I only use to control the speed of the car when using CC if I need to stop quickly. Otherwise, I find that using the CC stick to control speed avoids the jerkiness experienced when having to apply pressure with the brakes. I use the stick much more often to control CC than the brakes.

It sounds like what the OP is describing may be a problem with the car that needs to be seen about? I, too, am curious whether others have experienced the above issue. The brakes should disengage the CC until resumed or reset by the driver using the CC stick. Personally, I have not encountered this issue.

5. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, I agree with you regarding never having a car with CC reactivate like this (except for an old car, where if I accelerated above the set speed, it would not allow me under that speed without braking or canceling.

In this case, I suspect that it is related to a sensor which triggers the brakes, and likely also tells the car to disengage the CC. If this is not triggered, and no brake lights are illuminated, there is not another way for the car to know that the brakes are pressed.

I would also imagine that the actual brakes are not being engaged, but the engine someone 'feels' this, as I can hear the noise differently from the ICE, as the HSI moves over to the Regen area.

I will ask my wife to follow me, and see if she sees the brake lights on as I do this. This could well explain it.

6. Jabber

Jabber Chicagoland Prius Guy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Eric, I have my top prius tech looking into the wiring of the cruise for you. Specifically, what sensor needs to be triggered in order to actually cancel the cruise. I'll post up here once I get the answer.

1 person likes this.
  7. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Damn, Your quick, and on top of this. This is why I recommend Jeff to anyone in the Midwest looking for a Toyota to you. My friends on the west coast get Dianne's info.

I/m hoping to swing up there in the next week or two for the 15,000 mile oil change, as I just passed that. I'll talk to your before then.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is a duplicate of another thread. CC is disabled by a switch on the brake pedal arm. On the 2010, it takes a fair amount of pedal pressure to deactivate CC and likewise lite the brake lamps.

On the other hand, it is very easy to deactivate CC by pulling on the CC lever.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  9. Jabber

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, got some info. And are you pressing the brake pedal with a feather??? :D The cruise is turned off via the brake lights, i.e. lights come on, cruise shuts off. That is what I expected. So I jumped into a prius to see how sensitive the brake pedal is. It is sensitive, but I can definitely see how it could happen. It seems that the regen braking is more sensitive then the actual brake light switch. Just to be sure, I hopped into a RAV, Sienna, and Avalon also. The Avalon required a harder push on the pedal to activate the rear taillights. The Rav required almost no pressure at all. Doesn't sound like it is a "problem", just a weird anomoly. Just to be sure, when you bring it up for the oil change, I'll have my guy take a look at it to be safe.

10. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It happened the first few times when I was just covering the brake pedal, and applying no real pressure. What did happen is that I slowed from about 55 to 49, just kind of coasting, but as I looked down at the HSI, I saw it was doing regeneration, about 1/3 of that bar lit. Then, a few seconds later, as I moved my foot away from the brake pedal, and was about to hit the gas, the car re-accelerated all by itself, going into the PWR zone to do so, and zoomed back to 55 miles per hour, where it was previously set. I noticed it, and had to brake hard enough to jolt me in the car, in order to not hit the car in front of me who was traveling at about 52-53 mph.

The first time it did it, I just assumed the CC was disabled, as I slowed the car 6 mph less than prior to touching my brake pedal.

Regardless of why, I would say that if the car is sensing regenerative braking, it should deactivate the CC, just as if the pedal were depressed.

11. Jabber

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. The only other situation I can foresee is that tou were depressing the pedal, but were on a decline, thereby slowing you down more than normal. Again, these are just guesses from a less than qualified shadetree mechanic.

12. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No, I was inbound on the Ike (Einenhower I-290 for those of you from out of state or country), which is pretty flat, like 90% of Chicagoland.

And, If I was coasting downhill, the car would speed up, not slow down. This isn't the Ford Fusion Hybrid.... :p

13. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    As I have posted before, while cruise canceling upon brake pedal use is normal, it is there for safety, not "normal use". Use the cruise stick - pull up. It's more "elegant", smoother, and more reliable. It's the way the cruise system is supposed to be operated.

14. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, David, I agree. in this case, the cruise control is NOT canceling, even if the car slows downs as much as 6 miles per hour by using the brake pedal. It is not that I tried to cancel it, I was simply gently applying the brakes, and my car did slow down by 6 miles per hour (55 to 49) until I released the brakes, and the car rapidly accelerated back to 55 (and actually was overshooting to 56+ before I hit the brakes, kind of in shock at the unexpected acceleration, after I thought that slowing had canceled CC.

15. Jabber

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh yeah.. a decline would cause you to speed up. Apparantly I was hit by the stupid stick early today :D

16. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just went out and duplicated this. By gently pushing the brake while cruise is engaged you can slow the car without canceling cruise. When you fully release the brake the car accelerates back to speed as it you would expect with cruise engaged.

17. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My car is the same way, if you push gently you can have the brakes applied while the CC is trying to keep you up to speed. In the other thread (don't remember which one it is) I mentioned that I had taken my car in to have the brake activated CC cancel switch adjusted. I was told, as Jabber mentioned, that it is the same switch as the brake light switch. I was also told that if they adjusted it the brake lights might not turn off, I think that means they didn't want to fool with it.

I intend to adjust it myself when I get time, it's under the dash and activated by a tab on the brake pedal. Kind of hard to get to. By this time I have trained myself to cancel the CC with the CC stock and that works OK. But I think they should have used two switches so the brake lights and CC cancel could be independently adjusted.

18. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I, like others, have just learned to pull back on the CC arm to cancel the CC since it just seemed easier and smoother.

After reading these posts, I tried to use the brake pedal to cancel the CC and found that I used about the same force that I have used in the past on my old Jeep and my wife's Honda Accord. I did not see much difference. I did not try pressing on the pedal lightly as you did.

I also tried to speed up and slow down using the CC arm. I was running 60 mph and pushed up on the arm until I was running 65 and released the arm. The CC overshot to 66 and then came back to 65. The same thing when I slowed to 60. This seems to work similar to my other cars, albeit the acceleration and deceleration was a little stronger than normal.

19. Gen 3 for me

Gen 3 for me Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was driving my new Prius for the first day yesterday with less than 110 miles on it when a cruise control problem startled me. I had been briefly using cruise control just before I was exiting the interstate. I tapped the brake and the car was slowing down as expected. Then suddendly it began accelerating on its own while I was coasting on the off ramp. I need to say the ramp was going uphill when this strange situation happened to me. The brakes easily got things under control again.

Since I barely use cruise control during my breakin period I've had no other chance to try to replicate this condition yet.:confused:

20. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is the way it's supposed to work on the Gen III Prius: light braking allows CC to continue. Heavy braking disables cruise. Pulling on the stick disables cruise.

Tom

1 person likes this.