1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

cruise control quit

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PA Prius, May 1, 2013.

1. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    A few months ago I started noticing it took a few pushes on the button on the end of the cruise control stalk to get the cruise control to come on. Now I can not get it to come on at all. Any suggestions or similar experiences? 2004 with 184,000 miles.

PA P

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It sounds like the contacts for the button need cleaning or replacing. If you are DIY you could disassemble the stalk and check it out. If not, you may have to have someone do it for you or have the dealer replace.

3. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am having the same problem. 2005 with 235k. I cleaned the contacts of the button, but the problem still persisted. Next, I bought a NEW, OEM cruise stalk. I thought I solved the problem, but it still comes on when it wants to. I am going to open up the steering wheel again and trace some of the wires, maybe something is loose. Also, I am going to check to see if there is a cruise control fuse. I'll keep you posted on the fix...I hope.

4. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am not able to get the dash light to come on at all now when pushing the button on the cc stalk.

Any chance WD40 squirted in at the button would help??

kammssss, on your thread I think I saw it took a new clock spring. If this is the problem is there a good chance I could turn it on after having turned the steering wheel in a position other than straight, or even while turning the steering wheel? Car is not here at the moment, so I can't try that. I've always only tried to turn it on at highway speeds, which would have been with the steering wheel turned straight ahead.

Can anyone suggest an online tuturial or video to help me get to the switch in the stalk and/or the clock spring ?

I have a 2000 mile trip coming up next month and am really hoping to have cc by then.

PA Prius

5. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Again, can anyone point me to a tutorial to clean the cc stalk switch and/or clock spring?

PA P

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can obtain repair manual info at techinfo.toyota.com

For access to the cruise control switch, you will need to remove the driver's airbag and steering wheel. The repair manual will provide you with info needed to safely remove the airbag without having it blow up in your face.

7. TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're really a DIY guy, then you can take off the stalk, disassemble it, and get to the root of the problem (after safely removing the airbag after disconnecting your negative end on your battery). If the cruise is randomly coming on, the car is still driveable. If it sets itself randomly, I'd highly advise you not drive it until you get that sorted out. Better safe than sorry.

8. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I thought you fixed the problem by now. I did. It wasn't the cruise control stalk; however, if you want to clean it, there is one screw on the back. It is a very simple switch, so it is probably less likely the stalk. So what did I do to fix my problem? I changed the slipring. Cruise control works just like new now...all day everyday. I am still using my old cruise control stalk. Type up "slipring" and you will find many write ups. Also, I don't think there is a way to clean the slipring; it appears to be enclosed. Last tip, when you install a new slipring, don't pull off the plastic lever until you have centered the slipring and onto the wheel console. This thing can't spin in any one direction forever; there is a center for it, which is what the plastic lever is for. BTW, it only cost me $70 on ebay, so it is not worth trying to fix it. Removing the whole steering wheel is too time consuming.

9. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    PA Prius...there are no youtube videos on Prius slipring the last time I checked. However, our slipring is used by many other models, even Lexus. I think you can find something similar to help you. Type up Toyota slipring.

10. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Didn't work on this yet. Last evening for the first time the cruise would not turn off (after getting in on via 100 pushes) by pushing the button on the end of the stalk. Does this give any indication whether it is the switch in the stalk or the slipring (or is it clock spring, or is that the same thing?) Kammssss, I'm not finding anything real helpful when I google "Toyota slipring".

11. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My cruise control quit said I was not paying a fair wage :)

12. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I guess I was wrong about Youtube. Try googling it. You know, one would have to be a proficient DIY type of person for this type of work. Remember, it involves the most critical safety component of the car: AIRBAG. BTW, all your problems were the same as mines. Try the stalk first. You can always return it like I did. Peace.

13. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I bailed. Annual inspection was due, so I asked the shop to take care of this. Now the stalk is on backorder....

PA P

14. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I purchased my OEM stalked at RockAuto...it was half the price of the stearlership--and no backorder.