1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cruise Control seems to work intermittantly

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tmash, Jul 21, 2006.

1. tmash

tmash New Member

When driving down the highway, I set the cruise. Works just fine. I hit the brake to stop or go around someone and then resume the cruise control and nothing happens. I'll then reset the cruise and go on. Then the next time after hitting the brakes, the cruise will resume just fine. I can't figure out if I am doing something wrong or if this is the nature of car or if I need to take this in to get looked at?

Anyone else experince this?

Thanks in advance
    Tom

2. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Only if you drop below 25MPH should it forget the set speed.

Find a repeatable situation where it forgets when it shouldn't, then have a service tech do a ride-along while you demonstrate...

3. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tmash @ Jul 21 2006, 07:52 AM) [snapback]289874[/snapback]</div>
    Yes - same with me. I've found that when on c/c you have to be careful to keep your foot off the pedals because if you brake, or speed up, it cancels the c/c.

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I use CC all the time, maybe too much, and have never had this problem. It won't "catch" under 25 MPH and will sometimes lose it if you try to go up a hill at 25. Once set and cruising, a bump up increases speed by 1 MPH and a bump down does the opposite. Cruising above 25, say at 55, I can step on the brake pedal and slow almost to 25, then hit the Resume and CC takes me back up to the previously set speed.

Have it looked at.

I wish we had more control over the CC, like giving it a delta range, so speed could vary over a bit wider range before heavy correction kicked in. I'd also like a tight mode where you could set the speed and it would boost and use regen as necessary to maintain a speed both up and down hills.

5. kaptaink

kaptaink Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As an added note if you are using the B position on the gear shift . . . cruise will not work.

6. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tmash @ Jul 21 2006, 08:52 AM) [snapback]289874[/snapback]</div>
    I've had the same experience. I can never tell whether I am going to successfully resume after hitting the brakes. This is not in situations where I would have dropped below 25 mph. I think it might have something to do with using the CC stalk to change the speed up or down one mph at a time. I might have been doing that prior to braking, or something, and it's gotten confused. Or probably it's me that's confused. :mellow:

7. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Jul 23 2006, 11:01 AM) [snapback]290961[/snapback]</div>
    Same thing happening to me, although it's intermittent. I've hit resume and had it work , then the next time after tapping the brake pedal, hitting resume did nothing. Tested this at speed over 25MPH, so there's no logical reason why it shouldn't work (I've found most cc work about the same, just differ slightly in their "trigger" ranges for when you lose/gain speed due to terrain).

8. ttayloriii

ttayloriii Junior Member

I think this is a "Toyota" thing. My wife's 2000 Lexus does the same thing. In the owners manual for my 2006 Prius (pg 158), it states that the set will be lost below about 25mph. On my 1998 Chevy S-10, it retains the cruise setting until the engine is shut off or you switch off the cruise.

9. davidf

davidf New Member

My cruise control does the same thing, but I was figuring it was time based. If I am cruising and cancel (either by hitting the brake or pulling the lever), if I resume within a minute or two, it seems to resume fine. Otherwise, I need to use the 'set' option again. Braking, of course, turns off cruise control, but accelerating (like to pass) doesn't usually cancel cruise control settings (keeping cruise control on at the original speed setting). I seem to remember it working that way in mine (although I haven't explicitly looked for it).

David