1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cruise Control Tip

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Kablooie, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Kablooie

Kablooie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you tap the cruise control up, your speed goes up 1 mph each time. Vice versa for down. You can precisely set your speed this way.

This was brought up a while ago but I thought I'd mention it again for those of you who are new.

2. DanP

DanP Member

FYI, cruise control works this way on every car (at least on all the cars and trucks I have ever driven). It might be a little different on your Model A, however.

3. Kablooie

Kablooie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ah, well this is the first one that's worked this way for me. I tried it on my other two Toyotas and the change would vary each time.

Didn't work for the T either.

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    cruise control is evil :-\ i don't like it. it always manages to get 5 or 10 below what i can get. *shrug* maybe if i used it more, it would get used to my rought.... nah.. still evil.

5. DanP

DanP Member

For me, a poor fool who can't tell a Model A from a Model T, cruise control is really useful: keeps me from using traffic flow as my speed reference and is practically indispensable on the freeways. Checking the speedo too much is almost as bad as reading the newspaper while driving, but if I'm mostly watching other cars, then I tend to match their speed (generally about 15 mph over the limit).

6. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Cruise control is great...it's also nice on a highway when people are traveling the same consistent speed rather than slowing down and speeding up all the time.

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I find that CC is great on flat, constant-speed terraine. However, for rolling hills, CC will rev the engine to maintain speed going up and use the engine to slow the car when going down. Like V8, CC returns worse MPG than I get on my own.

When I go up a hill, I allow my speed to drop, stop accelerating altogether near the crest, and allow my speed to increase on the way down. Cruise control can not mimic this type of driving, even with the hand controls. Keep in mind that I am a believer in "steady flow of traffic" and do not change speed wildly when there is traffic around me.

But due to the digital display, it is easy to see that the Cruise increases and decreses by exactly one MPH. I think that's really neat.

8. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Sometimes I wish there was MPG cruise control where you tell the engine to do what it needs to do to hold say 50mpg, or 75mpg, when you're cruising on the freeway, or a stretch on a local road.

With allowance of course that if you're 10mph BELOW (or 15 above) your target speed, it would ignore MPG Cruise.

This would then make the Prius speed up on downhill and slow down on uphill to take advantage of momentum, and just give you a very efficient drive.

Best MPG Cruise anybody can do now is with the foot and an eye on the MPG screen.

9. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I noticed that switching to kilometers-per-hour and adjusting speed by bumping the handle allows you to avoid the flip-flop between two miles-per-hour speeds that you get sometimes. Then I switch back so I don't think I'm speeding when I see the higher number...

10. senectus

senectus New Member

actually I've found that mine goes up/down 2km per hour for every tap..

11. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm trying to rememer what the manual said about cruise tap-up/down, but I think it is callibrated to MPH rather than KPH and that if you tap up or down and are driving under KPH, it will go up or down 1.6 KPH.

Make sense?

12. senectus

senectus New Member

not really.. because both the speedo and the trip computer are in metric.. so why would the CC be imperial?
    The way I see it, changing your speed 1 km/hr is neither here nor there, so they bumped it to 2 km/hr

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The manual (well, ours anyway) says 1mph or 1.6km/h. So when I click up/down sometimes it's 1km/h, sometimes it's 2km/h

14. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I thought the bump was closer to 1km than 1.6, but maybe the rounding was strange during the times I've done it.

I've seen 63MPH come back as 99, 100, and 101KPH at various times...