1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cruise Control Warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PRPrius, Jan 11, 2010.

1. PRPrius

PRPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Which of the warranties apply to the cruise control? My Prius cruise control light has started blinking for no apparent reason. It blinks when it wants to, and sometimes cycling the on/off buttons clears the issue. There are other times when I have to turn the car off and then back on to reset the light. Is the computer storing codes when the light starts to blink? I am afraid about visiting the dealer if the light is not blinking! I don't want them to tell me that they could find not problems with the car!

1 person likes this.
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It probably depends upon what is wrong with the cruise control. The 3 year/36K mile warranty would apply if the problem is with the stop lamp switch, the vehicle speed sensor, the combination meter or the associated wiring. If the problem is with the hybrid vehicle ECU, then the hybrid system warranty should apply.

The hybrid vehicle ECU should log a DTC when you see the CRUISE light blinking. Next time it does that, try to immediately go to the Toyota dealer so that the DTC can be retrieved.

You are right that if the light is not blinking, there may be no code to retrieve and they'll charge you for an hour of labor and tell you "no trouble found".

1 person likes this.
  3. PRPrius

PRPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Update:

I visited my Toyota dealer and finally got the answer I didn't want to hear. The problem is not covered under warranty since I am at 43,000 miles already. It was caused by the Brake Light switch! The part had to be ordered from their warehouse and will be replace by Thursday.

P.S. According to the technician, he cannot guarantee that the brake lights will operate every time I brake. I have to be very careful until I have this issue corrected. I just hate having to pay $250 for the repair!!

4. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's their warehouse and they can't get it there that day?!

I suppose for a couple of days you can leave the window open and use the hand signal for stops.... as if anyone following you will know what you're doing.

5. PRPrius

PRPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Update 2.0
    Here are the codes that the technician found when they diagnosed my car. Codes P0571 & P0607 (fixed by replacing the brake light switch assembly)

*** This repair also took care of an issue that was annoying me for the longest time. I never really gave the idea of a bad switch a second though. I quickly noticed after purchasing the car, that the brake lights required me to press the pedal about 1/4 of the way in before turning on. If I press the pedal about 3-4 cm the would flicker until the pedal was depress further down. After the repair was done, the brake lights turn on as soon as I touch the brake pedal. This is great news, as it not only stops annoying me but also restores the safety advantages of LED brake lights. I guess $245.37 was a good price for peace of mind. I just hope that he next issue is cheap to fix.

6. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Would this be covered under the extended warranty?