1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cruise control

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Walker1, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had a Camry that had cruise. Every time I dropped below 40 or completely stopped I had to reset the cruise. I see the Pruis has the same annoying feature. I guess this a Toyota thing because none of my other cars ever lost their settings below 40 MPH. Does anyone know a way to get around this bothersome problem? I use my cruise almost all the time . Thanks.

2. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I love to use cruise controls and have used them in many cars but all cruise controls I have used have had this feature. Though rather forgetting the setr speed once your speed drops below 25 mph. I always thought it was some type of law

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a Toyota thing. The reason is the way they setup up the cruise control. You press ON then the CRUISE light comes on whereas some American cars, CRUISE doesn't come on til you actually set a speed.

4. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    This is my biggest gripe with the car. Every other make I've driven has the cruise disengage at 20-25mph but once you get back above the threshold you can hit resume and it will pick up the last setting. On this car as soon as you go below the threshold (I believe it's 25) then it erases it's memory. I don't know of anyway around it.

5. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't believe it's a law. My old Acura and current Audi both disengage (25mph for the Acura, 20mph for the Audi) when going below their lower limit but as soon as you manually get above the lower limit you can hit resume and it remembers your last setting.

6. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Funny my maxima also forgets the speed once you drop below 25 so Toyota is not alone (I thought forgetting was standard). Yes it's annoying! I guess they fear that you have your speed set to 80 mph drop down to 20 and then hit resume and the car takes off (my maxima is quite aggresive on resume, doubt it's good for gas milage).

7. HeyKB

HeyKB Not so new member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a Toyota thing.

It was true of my '89 Camry. It is true on my 2000 Corolla. And it's still true in our '05 Prius.

For whatever reason, Toyota's cruise control just likes to forget the setting below a certain speed.

8. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My Honda Accord, Hyundai Sonata, and last 3 Chevys did not forget. I think someone in the eng. dept. of Toyota "fell asleep at the wheel" on this one.

9. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ha, my Maxima does NOT forget the cruise setting... it definitely will resume after I've stopped. It's a '93 though... I bet you've got one from a year with a different design?