1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

cruise control

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by zchad, Feb 5, 2007.

1. zchad

zchad New Member

I drive alot of higway miles on the interstate. Is it best to set you rcruise control and travel at a consistent speed or not?

2. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

What do you mean by "best?" For mileage, wear and tear, driver fatigue?

3. zchad

zchad New Member

Sorry for not being clear. Wanting to know if setting the cruise will give you better gas mileage.

4. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Generally, yes, CC gets better mpg, for three reasons:
    1) You set a speed by the number (or at least you are very aware of the number with the big speedo display), and you might choose a little more wisely (i.e., slower).
    2) For the same reason, you won't let your speed get too high, which in the Prius drops mpg rapidly.
    3) Your acceleration will be very gentle.

A very sensitive driver can do better than CC by anticipating road conditions (hills and valleys) by allowing more speed downhill and letting the car slow somewhat as it crests a hill. Most people do not bother with this (and it can really bug drivers behind you), so the CC usually bests your manual efforts.

5. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Hi zchad

Prius Cruise Control: I use it some around town [Dallas TX] generally set to 38 or 40 MPH, and virtually always on the freeways, set at 60 - 75 MPH depending on conditions. I've tried the "sensitive driver" approach, as in "pulse and glide" but find the required attention level a bit taxing, so its "Cruise Control" most of the time for me. I was not able to sigficantly improve MPG in the "pulse and glide" approach.

In my 2004 Prius, I found the Cruise Control somewhat too AGRESSIVE - the accelleration rate to maintain the set MPH was a bit harsh. My 2007 Touring Edition seems a little less agressive.

My 2¢ worth...

6. Boucher187

Boucher187 New Member

I've tried the "sensitive driver" approach, as in "pulse and glide" but find the required attention level a bit taxing, so its "Cruise Control" most of the time for me. I was not able to sigficantly improve MPG in the "pulse and glide" approach.
    [/quote]
    I am a taller driver and did not user the cruise because I wanted to test the ride and glide technique. I did this and over time my foot began to hurt and leg was cramping. I am 6’7†and it was a pain! The last 3 days I used cruise as much as I could and there is not a significant difference that I can see except for that fact that I have no pain and I can actually relax when driving to work.