1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cruise Control

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by vday, Feb 22, 2010.

1. vday

vday Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What are the recommendations as to the use of the Cruise Control.
    I was told that it saves gas.
    Is this true

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Cruise control works well on the flat for steady driving. It's less efficient going up and down hills, as it tries to keep a constant speed.

Hypermilers can do better than CC by using P&G and other advanced techniques, but for normal driving down the highway, CC is the way to go.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  3. eaglesight333

eaglesight333 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I only use Cruise Control when on the interstate. Otherwise, I dont use it. because without it, you can have better control of the hybrid vs ICE engine.

4. Tom183

Tom183 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think at speeds above 60mph, you might as well use CC unless you're a hypermiler - you might get slightly better mpg by accelerating a bit before hills and lifting off sooner at the top, but I don't think the difference is as significant as you would see at lower speeds. (I wish it were possible to use the CC in combination with your foot, but my CC refuses to cooperate)

40-45mph is probably a very bad speed for CC because the ICE can maintain speed but in a less-efficient band, and the CC likely wouldn't lift off enough to give any glides.

5. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Interstates at 55 mph or higher. Otherwise I can easily beat the CC in fuel mileage.

6. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's kinda the point, isn't it? :D (I hadda do it)

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    :doh:

8. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----

I use the cruse control to boost mileage and to avoid speeding. Without it, I have a tendency to go a bit tooooo faaasssstttttt. Saving money by not getting tickets and keeping my insurance low may save me as many $s as the slight improvement in mileage.

9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I don't know. I use it all the time and get a consistent 52 MPG (4.5 l/100 km.) Right now, both Prius are going through the annual winter slump. However, there are advocates for another style of driving called pulse and glide.

Using cruise control with our 1.5L NHW11 to replicate pulse and glide, I see an 11% improvement by pulsing to 43 mph (69 km/h) and gliding in neutral to 25 mph (40 km/h.) over the equivalent 33 mph (53 km/h):
    [​IMG]

Comparing the mileage, I found:
    [​IMG]

Reducing the band between acceleration and glides tends to reduce the improvement. One attempt to pulse and glide around the maximum distance speed, ~18 mph (29 km/h), found a distinct efficiency loss:
    [​IMG]

Compared to holding the speed constant at 18 mph:
    [​IMG]

But going back to the winter blues and spring pickup, yesterday I drove the 2010 Prius in 50F (10C) at 50 mph (80 kph) and got 60 MPG (3.9 l/100 km) indicated. By the end of May, our first full year of 2010 Prius ownership, I'm expecting to see 52 MPG. The 2003 Prius anniversary month is the first of October and it will easily be over 52 MPG.

Let me suggest performing your own test over a known route. Ideally, it needs to be at least 16 km long after the car has warmed up. Make runs in both directions to even out wind and grade differences using the tripmeter reset after achieving the starting speed. The fuel burned 'benchmarking' your car and driving style will pay dividends over time.

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  10. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It also helps you avoid cramps and aches in your right foot by relieving it of a rigid set on the accelerator pedal during long drives!
    Though they may not happen frequently in Israel, a small country.

11. vday

vday Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That it definitely does on even not that long trips:);)