1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cruising but engine runs exclusively

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by macmaster05, Jan 29, 2010.

1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I noticed this (abnormality?) today when I was driving on the freeway. I would be cruising and easing off of the gas pedal, going between 55-60mph. The instantaneous mileage on MFD would say ~67-80 mpg. Great. But the Energy Diagram screen showed that the gas engine was running exclusively to provide power to the wheels (dark orange arrows) - without the electric motor assisting (yellow arrows) for a second or two, like it usually does. Why does it seem like my car is using all gas when I'm eased off and the MFD says I'm getting such high mpg. I can attest that something is *different*, because even worse is that my pips are falling fast, so it seems that I am in fact, getting worse mileage.

I replaced my front right tire last weekend (although with the same tire), so maybe the new treads have something to do with it. I don't know. Can anybody help me? I'd rather have this be a new tire thing rather than "there's something wrong with my Prius, it doesn't get the mileage it's supposed to." Like the stories I hear about people getting only 42 mpg.

I hypermile and used to get 54 mpg but if this keeps happening, I know my mileage will slip. What is happening? Thanks!

2. Frayadjacent

Frayadjacent Resident Conservative

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    It's well known that new tires cause, mostly temporary, lower fuel economy. I would not be surprised that one tire would affect your economy somewhat.

I don't think the energy flow representations on the MFD have anything to do with anything.

BTW, have you checked your tire pressure lately? Some shops will set pressure to the recommended, which is generally lower than what we like to run them at. They may have reduced your tire pressure all the way around. ALWAYS check after your tires are serviced, even if only one is serviced.

3. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Are you completely sure it's in S4?

Note that you cannot judge mileage using the gas gauge. It's just too inaccurate.