1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Crunch time

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jeffn, Dec 15, 2005.

1. jeffn

jeffn New Member

...but in a good way. I have no clue as to my "January" delivery of my 06 but once I get my package 8 car, I want to make a checklist of mods to prioitize and would like your input.

So far: forged rims (16s or 17s?) and new balony skins for them, stiffener plate, sway bars(available?). Any more suggestions? (a moonroof is on the agenda when I can find an experienced installer in NY)
    Thanks!

2. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

You ordered a Celica, right?

3. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Moon roof has been done and there are photos here somewhere but it's expensive because you have to flatten the roof first. I wouldn't do it. The roof is designed for aerodynamics. If you increase the rim size you will decrease MPG. The stock rims are lightweight also. Anyone ever think of chroming the stock alloys? BT Tech Stiffening plate, good. Sway Bars? Hmmm. You want to sway????

More suggestions:
    iPod and AIC - SoundLinQ adapter
    Anything from Sigma Automotive
    [Links in my sig]

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please don't come back here asking why you're not getting 60mpg after you do all that! :p

5. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

OK, I'll help you since you haven't gotten much yet.

Here is a list of what I've gotten and will get. My car is arriving this Saturday (hopefully!). Here is what I'll be installing )or having installed) over the next few weeks:

17" Scion wheels
    BT Tech stiffenting plate
    VAIS AIC-100i (now called SLI) for ipod video
    Tom's front suspension brace
    Tom's strut tower brace
    Window tint
    Sherwood carbon fiber dash kit

Will be getting soon:

Tom's rear subframe brace
    Tom's floor brace
    Tom's exhaust system (required to make above two fit)
    Tom's emblem (why not, after so much of their stuff)
    BT Tech rear spoiler (once new '06 colors are available)
    Rear seat entertainment for kids (headrest screens plus DVD player, audio using center console aux. input)

I also may end up installing these things, but haven't decided yet:

Signal mirror housings
    Modellista front/rear spoilers (from Sigma)
    Version A side skirts (also from Sigma)
    Tom's stainless braided brake lines (overkill, but most factory brake systems feel better with them)

Since my current daliy driver is averaging around 13.7 mpg, I will be happy even if I only get 35-40 mpg in my Prius, as that would be 3X my current milage. Not everyone cares about achieving 60 mpg. I will never complain about low gas milage in my Prius! Well unless it drops to around 20 mpg...

6. Cocoatreat

Cocoatreat New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wow!! after adding all that ur prius may end up costing $40k!!!! i have had my pri since mid october & it seems to be quite stable on the road....so i have no need for a stiffening plate... i think if i were u-i would hold off until you get ur car....& then if needed, add it up.....

if you are gonna get all that......i think its important for you to get the clear bra for protection... it helps protect the front end from rocks, bugs, etc. get it done asap~
    what??? no leather seats???

good luck! :D

7. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually I can't see how these are going to help the car considering that in most braking situations the regenerative system does the vast majority of braking until you get to 7mph or lower, then hydraulics kick in. Only during panic stops does the hydraulic system actually run from the time the pedal is pushed till the stop.

I don't see an issue with any of the suspension items. I think that might enhance the car a little, however it won't really make daily driving much better, but if you decide to autocross it, that will make a huge difference.

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    seat covers and all weather mats.

protect the interior, pimp the exterior. that's what i always say. (or not :lol:)

9. jeffn

jeffn New Member

Yep the hybrid celica.

17" forged wheels weigh the same as the stock rims so aside from some aero issues should not affect mpgs. A low roller like a Falken might even decrease resistance.

And unless the 05-06 Prius has suspension upgrades, the 04 I rented in FLA 2 yrs ago sure was a kite in any wind, especially coming out of my last car, an M3. Stiffeners one by one sound like a plan.

10. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Might as well spend all that money on a different car. Those mods sound absurd!!!

11. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Then don't do them. And while you're at it, respect others choices and don't make stupid comments like that. I'm building it for me, not for you. Your post here is the only absurd thing.

Now to address the serious posts.

Of course. It comes with those already, so no need to add them.

I've driven a stock 2005 Prius and thought the suspension could use some help. They didn't change it for 2006, so I already knew that I would be making the changes.

True, the Prius is a unique exception to this statement, but not a complete exception. Yes the regen braking system does most of the work, but the regular brakes also do some braking too, otherwise they wouldn't be there. When those do come into play, I want them to be at their maximum effectiveness. Now many may say that SS lines are overkill. Maybe so, but if they help stop the car even a little bit, they are worth the money. Then in that case why don't they use them from the factory, you may ask. Cost. SS braided lines can cost from $100-200 per car. The rubber lines cost around $0.50. Manufacture a million cars a year, and the costs add up.

To me, it's not about what you put into a car, but rather what you get out of it. Actually all of life is like that. If something makes you happy, price doesn't matter. If I end up spending an extra $10k on my Prius, so be it. I'll be enjoying evey day that I drive it. A car is one of the few public ways we can express ourselves. Simply driving a Prius is a self expression on it's own.