1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cruse control

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by aparks1569, May 10, 2006.

1. aparks1569

aparks1569 New Member

Question regarding my one-week-old, silver 06 Prius: Resume function on cruse control doesn't resume after applying brake pedal. Cruse light is still showing on dash but it's as if cruse has been shut off. pushing up on the control does increase speed but not after canceling. Normal? I don't think so -- wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

2. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    That's not normal behavior UNLESS you slow down below 25mph. Once you drop below that speed the cruise control is programmed to forget the preset speed, and you have to reset it manually.

3. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This particular behavior of the Prius cruise I found very different from my previous vehicles with cruise. I have a rather old Mercury that has cruise with resume and it wll remember the speed even if you come to a stop. This is quite useful on some of the highways around here that have stoplights and intersections on them. In this instance, once you get the car above 25 mph you press resume and the cruise unit takes it up to your previous speed from there.

That really is the one thing about the Prius I miss, having it remember your last cruise speed regardless of what speed you fall to while driving.

4. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aparks1569 @ May 10 2006, 06:43 PM) [snapback]253161[/snapback]</div>
    If your speed varies more than 15 km/h (10 mph) from the set speed it will not pick up the set speed again - so says my owner's Manual.

5. itstwowords

itstwowords New Member

Personally, I hate this "feature". My Prius is the only car I have ever owned that "forgot" the set point just because slowed below 25 MPH.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm sure this is another reaction to our overly litigious legal system in the U.S. If you allow resume from any speed, someone somewhere will accidentally hit resume at a low speed, the car will rocket forward, they will panic and forget to brake or steer, and the car will slam into the back of another vehicle. Guess who gets sued: Toyota.

We have brought this on ourselves. It's the same reason you can't enter NAV data while under way. The current thinking in the U.S. takes responsibility away from the individual and puts it on the shoulders of product designers. Everything has to be wrapped in padding and impossible to misuse, no matter how clever the idiot who is using it. We even have to be saved from deliberate misuse.

Tom