1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cummins "Secrets of Better Fuel Economy"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by F8L, May 29, 2008.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This article pops up now and again and I feel it is a great read for those just getting started on the quest to better MPG. Well worth reading even if you don't drive big rigs. :) It is worth noting that this is specifically designed for the trucking industry but the principles still apply to us.

Cummins "Secrets of Better Fuel Economy"

Introduction: Understanding Fuel Economy ​
    [FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow]
    The importance of fuel economy to the successful operation of a trucking company cannot be understated. Fuel is one of the largest variable costs in a trucking venture.. While no trucking operation can control the cost of fuel; it has at least some control over the amount or rate of consumption. ​
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow]
    Rock-Solid Rules ​
    [/FONT][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings]
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow]Every 2% reduction in aerodynamic drag results in approximately 1% improvement in fuel economy.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow]Above 55 mph, each 1 mph increase in vehicle speed decreases fuel economy by 0.1 MPG.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow]Worn tires provide up to 7% better fuel economy than new tires.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow]Used lug drive tires can get up to 0.4 MPG better fuel economy than new lug tires.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow]Ribbed tires on the drive axles provide 2–4% better fuel economy than lugged tires.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow]Every 10 psi that a truck’s tires are underinflated reduces fuel economy by 1%.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow]The break-in period for tires is between 35,000 and 50,000 miles. (big trucks)

[/FONT][FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow]Tires make biggest difference in MPG below 50 mph; aerodynamics is the most important factor over 50 mph.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow]The most efficient drivers get about 30% better fuel economy than the least efficient drivers.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow]Idle time is costly. Every hour of idle time in a long-haul operation can decrease fuel economy by 1% because you’re burning fuel and not moving.

[/FONT]

2. chrisspaulding

chrisspaulding sexy, high tech, fun

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Interesting. Thanks for the post.
    Now I just need to know what % of drag my accessories(or lack of) are causing:

Front mud flaps
    Window deflectors
    no wheel trims
    sirius antenna

Also, I wonder what the best tires are for MPG?

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

That is one we all want to know. :)

I think tire manufactures are looking into producing them and now they have plenty of incentive to do so. Keep your fingers crossed!