1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

curb feelers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Bob Allen, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I recently got four new rims for my Prius as the result of a nasty hit and run while the car was parked.....AND I wanted to avoid scratching these the way I managed to scratch three of the orignals. I thought about curb feelers. Remember curb feelers?

None of the auto parts stores in my area carry them, and I would guess this is true nationwide. I found a supply house on Google that does carry them, and lots of other items definitely not in my taste (fuzzy dice, bikini clad dash ornaments, etc.).

http://www.shrunkenheads.com/Products/Car_...urb_Feelers.htm

The catch is this: I think you'll probably need to have mud flaps installed. I could find no other place to mount them because there are no big fender flanges on the Prius as there were on the '59 Edsels for which these items were orignally intended. There are rubber dams under the car at the fenders, I assume for aerodynamics, and it might be possible to mount them on those.

Each feeler has two flexible spiral chrome wires screwed to a clumsy clamp device. The orientation of the clamp device is at right angles to any place on the Prius you could attach it. So....I removed the spiral wires, tossed the clumsy clamp, and ended up with four separate wires, each about ten inches long, with a little metal flag at one end with a hole through its center.
    I drilled a hole in the back side of all four mudflaps and mounted a wire on each one. Using those locktite nuts (the ones with the rubber inset), I was able to put enough tension on the screw to hold the wire in place under normal driving forces, but not so tight that I couldn't go and adjust the wire up or down as needed by hand.

The original curb feeler, attached to the metal of the car, would make a scraping noise loud enough to be easily heard inside, before you scraped your white walls (remember white walls?) on the curb. Since mine are mounted on the rubber mud flaps, the noise is much reduced, but I can see them sticking out when I cant my sideview mirrors down. This gives me a reference point so I can get the car as close to the curb as possible without scraping.

I mounted them on all four wheels because on my street, we park on either side facing either direction.

Cost was 15 bucks a pair. They come with chrome tips, but you can get them tipped with green or blue eyeballs, or dice. This seemed silly to me as they would soon be scraped off. The chrome wires look unobtrusive; just visible enough to be seen.

Bob

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, Bob...Just because *you* aren't interested in "bikini clad dash ornaments" doesn't mean the rest of us aren't. BTW, all passengers should be wearing a seatbelt while the car is in motion, bikini or not. :p

3. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What has wearing a seat belt got to do with dashboard bikini icons? The stuff in this catalogue is actually pretty funny....reminds me of "Rebel Without a Cause" and other teenage iconography from the 50's and 60's. I thought I was being more or less non-judgemental about this bikini thing while letting the reader know what Crusin' Classics offers in case there were some nuns reading the chatline.

Update on the feelers....last night they actually worked and made noise sufficient to keep me from scraping the curb.

4. Seaside Harry

Seaside Harry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Has anyone developed an "electronic curb feeler" that uses ultrasonic sensors like those employed in wireless backup alert systems? No doubt this would cost slightly more than $15, but at least there wouldn't be any 1950's style wire rods sticking out from the side of my 21st century Prius.

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My sadly warped mind conjured up a vision that didn't meet safe driving practices. My point was your bikini clad passenger would be safer in the seat with their seat belt on, not lying around on the dash..(or the hood, which is way too flimsy)

I will attempt to keep these visions to myself in future..

6. MarvHein

MarvHein Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't do much parallel parking but the low front end (on the 2010, at least) has caused me to scrape the top of one curb already while parking straight-in.

Given my inability to judge the actual front bumper location, I found myself more often parking about 3 feet away from the curb in front.

My solution was to take an after-market back-up sensor kit and place one sensor on each end of the lower grille about 6 inches up from the bottom. I attached the controller power wire (normally attached to your back-up lights) to one of the high beam lamp fuses.

My kit has a little display with range to target and an indicator showing relative distance from each sensor, left or right. It also has a beeper which increases in speed based on proximity. I mounted that in the little well between the top of the steering column and the dash with some double-stick tape, snaking the wire to the controller under the hood.

As I pull forward into a space, I turn on my high beams and watch the range indicator, pausing every foot or so to make sure it has a lock on the curb. When the display reads 1 foot and goes into its fastest beep, I'm about 6 inches from the curb. It's highly repeatable.

I purchased my kit through a friend, but I just found almost exactly the same thing by Googling "backup sensor kit." They are under $100 for a 4-sensor kit. Some actually market these as front bumper sensors, so I'm not the first to think of using them this way.

I tried to use them as blind-spot sensors on another car, but they work best when moving very slowly. The range jumps around a lot otherwise. That's also why I kept them switchable so they are generally only on when parking. Still, I think you might use these with a couple of sensors on the side near your wheel well. You just need to figure out the critical distances from each sensor to keep from scraping.

1 person likes this.
  7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You do realize this thread is four years old? If the OP hasn't figured out something by now, the damage has been done.

Tom

8. Capt Ed

Capt Ed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah, but I'm a new Prius owner that just scraped my right front bumper on a curb and my "curb feeler" search term brought me to this thread! So I thank the Gentleman for his timely post!

ED

seeh2o and dboy like this.
  9. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yea.....they were ugly way back when and they're ugly today.

10. PhazonPhobe

PhazonPhobe His name is Sora

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think curb feelers just tell the world that you don't know how to drive.

11. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Somewhere, I have a photo of a Prius with curb feelers - got it at a Prius meetup I went to...

12. dtuite

dtuite Silverback

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What about spring-loaded suicide knobs for the steering wheel, with cheesecake pictures under the cap? Are those in the catalog?

I have contemplated screwing a flag bracket to the front bumper. It could hold a wand that I could see from the driver's seat that would mark the forwardmost projection of the bumper.

But the clash between that sissy wand and the cheesecake suicide steering knob would destroy the Feng Shui of the whole car, which would probably cost me 10 MPG.