1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Curious about this calculation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by ystasino, Jun 9, 2008.

1. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Assuming all other environmental variables are identical I wanted to use I wanted to predict my mpg for the next 6 months as a function of average temperatures. Lets just assume these to be the operational average temperatures

Jan-Jun Avg temp: 50.4 - Jul-Dec Avg temp: 60.3

If we knew the mpg from Jan-June (say 50.5mpg) would we be able to estimate the July to Dec mpg and what sort of relationship would we use? I guess it would not be a linear one?

Thanks

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    With two data points the function could be anything: linear, stepwise discontinuous, exponential... you need a lot more data for anything useful.

Tom

3. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If the environment (like: weather, traffic lights, cars ahead of you slowing to turn, etc) variables are identical (as you stated) and only the average temperature changes (as you stated), then you seem to have all the data you need.

If you can figure the first equation successfully (you did), then there is nothing beyond a calculator to figure out the 2nd equation since you provided the mising data, ie. the Jul-Dec Avg temperature.

In other words, all things being equal, if you gave a final MPG for Jan-June based on an average temperature, why then could you not substitute the Jul-Dec temperature (that YOU provided) and arrive at a similarly appropriate MPG?

If I'm not misreading the question, this is almost a circular reasoning question.

Finally, see if this fits your question;
    Old equation:
    Environmental variable x average temperature = predicted mpg

New equation:
    Same environmental variable x new (and stated) temperature = new predicted mpg.

I see hardly nothing that needs figuring out in this question.

ZC1

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Heavy rain knocks the snot out of good mileage as does wind, hills, passenger load, etc.