1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Curious case: sue for green

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Jun 9, 2024.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Far-right fossil fuel company allies pressure US supreme court to shield firms in unprecedented campaign | Oil and gas companies | The Guardian

. . .
    Honolulu is one of 40 cities and states suing big oil for an alleged decades-long effort to sow doubt about the dangers of burning fossils. If successful, the case could force the defendants to pay for climate damages.

In October, the Hawaii supreme court ruled that the suit can go to trial. But oil companies petitioned the US supreme court in February to review the state court’s decision; they argued the cases should be thrown out because emissions are a federal issue that shouldn’t be tried in state courts.

Supreme court justices met on Thursday to consider whether or not to take up the fossil fuel companies’ request, and the justices could grant or reject the petition in the coming days.
    . . .

I have mixed thoughts on this but lean against using the Courts to resolve. Purdue Pharma was evil to push OxyContin that led to a lot of deaths. In like fashion, fossil fuel companies advocating for burning their products and against climate science, well they are behaving badly (i.e., Exxon 'survey' in Facebook.) Just I think we are at a technology inflection point.

We, our species, is moving from expensive, one-time fuel burning towards more affordable solar fusion powered. The use of light, wind, and rain along with nuclear fission is making more and more economic sense. A similar inflection point occurred when we went from animal powered transportation to internal combustion vehicles. The old saying, "Get a horse" was a criticism of early, unreliable, mechanical vehicles. But there were some strange laws like having someone carry a red flag before the early cars.

So I'm conflicted about wether or not this suit should go forward. I won't cry if it does succeed but a better outcome would be individuals deciding to choose the more affordable, lower operational cost, of renewables.

Bob Wilson

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For some reason I’m thinking of a song lyric: “There are many here among us, who think that life is but a joke.” *

What a world, with its tireless misinformation campaigners; I’ve heard:

1. Pretty much all vaccines are hoaxes, concocted and promoted by evil men bent on population culling and world domination.

2. The world has boundless hydrocarbons, fresh drinking water and food.

3. Using fossil fuels is good; plants benefit.

The list goes on, encompassing various pretzel logic paranoias and prejudices, evolving over time, attracting the intellectually adrift among us.

* All Along the Watch Tower - Bob Dylan

#2 Mendel Leisk, Jun 9, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2024
    bisco and John321 like this.