1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Curious temperature impact at 70F

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by bwilson4web, Oct 28, 2007.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hi folks,

After two years of ownership, I plotted my MPG as a function of temperature:
    [​IMG]
    These are the average of the MPGs, not the total gallons and miles summed at each temperature and then averaged. The raw data can be found in my GreenHybrid.com data records. What bothers me is why is there a dip at 70F? Has anyone else seen a similar MPG dip at 70F / 21C.

In the spring, I plotted temperature and MPG versus time just to see how strong the correlation looked:
    [​IMG]
    My next steps will be to survey other NHW11 and NHW20 model fuel records to see if a similar pattern exists. But I thought I'd ask if anyone else had seen a similar pattern.

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

2. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I guess another question is why the blip at 60 F? The drop at 70 F tends to magnify the 60 F blip, but there seem to be 2 distinct 'sweet spots'. (Unless there is an explanation for the drop at 70 F.)

3. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Does your use of an EBH and grill block remain constant over these temps? Just curious whether this might factor in.

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I used the lower grill block both winters from about December through April. However, I'm thinking about a different approach this winter.

I'm thinking about trying to block all gaps at the top of the engine compartment and possibly using insulation on the hood and upper quarter panels. I want to convert the engine compartment into an inverted, insulated space to hold heat after I arrive at work and later when I go home.

As for the engine block and transaxle pan heaters, I installed them early this summer and have not used them often. I continue to worry about a 'knock' sound that I hear when I use the block heater in the first couple of seconds when the ICE first starts. Yet using a tape recorder on the cylinder head, I could not isolate the sound. FYI, the knock is not heard from the exhaust pipe outlet.

What bothers me is the hypothesis that heating the upper part of the block may let the oil drain from the piston journals. Without the block heater, the cold oil film may remain to minimize shock loads in the first power revolutions. But so far, I don't have a good diagnosis for this 'knock.'

Bob Wilson

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hi folks,

It looks like it may have been behavior change when you look at three, NHW11s with over 100 fuel samples:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I suspect what happened is when the morning temperatures were moderate, I wasn't quite so rigorous in following my cold-weather warm-up and cool-down protocol. In particular, taking an early turn onto the higher speed, cross town route. This would explain the dip at 70F.

Bob Wilson

6. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Very interesting Bob. Can I interpret your final post to mean that between 30-80 degrees F, the warmer the temp the better the mileage? If so, this begs the question why isn't the rise more linear? In order to expand on your data it appears you must spend the winters in Fargo, SD and summers in Death Valley!

7. SpartanScott

SpartanScott Michigan Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is my graph of my MPG vs. TEMP for its lifetime (~11 months). Each data point is a trip mpg. I've started my car 470 times so that is about how many data points there are. Every drive I take is over 11 miles and all trips driven below 40 degrees have full grill blocked. (No EBH...yet) The decrease around 80F is because that is around the temp where I turn on the air conditioning.

Does anyone have a graph similar to this to document before & after EBH install or grill blocking? Would be interesting to see the benifits of both at various temperatures.

Attached Files: