1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Current MPG readout question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by paulisme, Apr 17, 2004.

1. paulisme

paulisme New Member

I've put about 50 miles on my Prius now, and I've got a question about the Current MPG reading on the display. While I'm driving, it jumps around all over the place; sometimes it says 21 MPG and other times it says 99 MPG. I know the screen refreshes every three seconds. Have I just not driven it enough for it to give an accurate MPG, or does it actually calcuate the mileage in three-second intervals? If it does the latter, I don't really see how that number would be meaningful at all.

2. starla30

starla30 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This is why it's the average MPG that people keep an eye on generally. I usually keep it on the consumption screen and only switch it over to the energy screen if I want to show off to newbies in my car or see if the engine is off.

But yes, the current MPG changes dramatically if you are accelerating (5-30 usually) flat (30-70) or going downhill (99!)

3. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In the consumption screen you will find the average.

4. paulisme

paulisme New Member

Is there any way to make the consumption screen the default screen when I turn the car on?

5. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I really don't think that there is a way to do that. Is there any technical person that can help him out?

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, make sure the consumption screen is the one that's on when you turn the car off.

7. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I didn't think that would work. But i went and tried it and sure enough, it did.