1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Current Website or Service for New Maps on Trans-Atlantic Shipped Cars?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by egw, Jan 5, 2018.

1. egw

egw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2004 American Toyota Prius and live in Europe and I'd like to update my maps. Right now I have the 2009-2010 Europe West from an old Hungarian hacker website (ToyotaNavi), but they're no longer online and it'd be nice to both get more recent maps, and also get Europe East. It looks like I last posted about this here in Jan 2012, but the guy I mentioned in that thread is no longer responding or reading that email address as far as I can tell. 6 years! Long time.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to update maps at the dealership -- they will simply not do anything for American GPS units in Europe not for any amount of money in the world, I guess because Toyota does not make an official such map DVD, and never considered that people might ship their cars to different regions (???).

To avoid falling foul of the moderators, maybe send me a PM if you have an idea of where such a thing could be found? As far as I remember from when I looked into this 8 years ago and first updated my maps, legitimate Prius DVDs on eBay or wherever will not work. Besides map piracy, IIRC the only other "solutions" are buying a garmin and taping it on to my nav system, which is a huge kludge and I have no intention of doing, or performing a much more complicated switcheroo of the whole system, which is above my technical ability or willingness to learn/invest the time, and would likely cost well over a thousand dollars for a mechanic to do here. (Mechanics bill at US$250/hour where I live.)

TIA!

SFO likes this.
  2. egw

egw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I spent some time on this and while I was able to successfully copy my bootloader and the 2009-2010 map to another backup DVD (just in case!), I was not able to get the 2014-2015 maps working, which was kind of a surprise since the file structure looked identical. However, it would "not recognize DVD" even when burned in the exact same way as my 2009-2010 disc.

There must be something off, but whatever it is it's not obvious to me.

SFO likes this.
  3. egw

egw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, well I finally found the place that sells the DVDs. Not sure if I can post links or not but if you look "Navilex" and ".hu" with a "www" before that, then you'll find the website. I don't know for sure, but I would guess this is the successor to ToyotaNavi that I used previously.

Again this is only a very niche case: if you have a European Toyota or Lexus in the US, or vice-versa. Otherwise you do not need a hack and you can just buy a real navigation DVD. Note that Toyota WILL NOT perform such a service and there is no way to update the maps for a transatlantic-shipped vehicle. I found some people talking about it on a military forum with 2015 model cars, so it seems this is still a stupid restriction that Toyota/Lexus have.

SFO likes this.