1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Curses! they overfilled my Gen III too!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Gadgetdad, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had hoped that my dealer wouldn't screw up a simple oil change on the Gen III by overfilling......I was wrong.

I hoped I could leave the more complicated oil change task to the dealer and was assured they would use the Mobil One Synthetic. I was a bit annoyed that I was charged for 5 Quarts when I knew that only 4.1 was needed (yes 4.4 if oil filter is changed), and overall the price was fair. But I had a lingering worry that I just checked. Yes... too much oil!

A good 1/2 inch over the top fill mark on the dipstick was the read. I couldn't believe it and wiped the stick several times to get an accurate read. I've driven about 200 miles since the change last week.

Should I have the dealer drain the excess or replace all the oil due to possible foaming? Is the foaming of overfilled oil even a problem on Gen III?

Next time, if I don't do it myself, I will ask they only use 4 quarts and let me top it off if needed. Certainly I will check the oil before I leave the service area.

This is irritating, Toyota, if your listening, please train your dealers! This continuing problem with dealers lessens their and your credibility.

Lee

Preeeus likes this.
  2. Yankeefan

Yankeefan Captain Planet

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    At least they put oil in yours. I heard a horror story of them not putting any in. The girl I know of course didn't check it before she drove off the lot. The rest you can figure out. After many problems having dealers change my oil I do it myself all the time. I have not let a dealer change my oil in over six years. It's sad they screw up the easiest tasks. But when I see the people they hire to work there I understand.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    From "2010 Toyota Prius Repair Manual," RM1291U2, pp. LU-1
    I'm thinking about scanning the page and putting it and the cover page on my web site. Ask to speak with the service manager.

Bob Wilson

3 people like this.
  4. angelrob

angelrob New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok, I have a real newb question to which the search turns up nothing...the oil is so clear and the stick fits so tightly that it has oil on the sides of the stick. It *looks* like the oil fills the stick at the top dot, but how can I tell if it's overfilled if I can't see the "fill line" on the stick?! Or is that my answer...if it's on the sides, then it's overfilled?

They charged me for 5 qts, too - as well as charging nearly double the posted (asterisked - Some models slightly higher - my emphasis) $43.90+tax for the 5K service. I paid 59.74 - $28.95 labor + $35.36 parts + -$9 coupons + 4.43 tax. I 'discussed' it with the cashier and left a scathing review but haven't heard from anyone yet. If they also overfilled, I'm writing the service manager posthaste rather than waiting a few more days.

Robbin

5. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think you got an ok price, mine was $77. The synthetic oil was charged by the quart at full retail price. I changed my oil in my Gen II Touring after an overfilling episode before, but I thought the task would be better handled (due to the mess and acess issues) by the dealer's service department. I'll speak to the service manager and get a written statement in case I have a problem develop down the line.

Check the oil level on the dipstick several times to get a good read. Wipe the oil off the stick between checks, and make sure the dipstick is pressed all the way down into the hole before pulling it out. Hold level and look for the leading edge of the oil on the broad side of the dipstick. It may take a couple of tries to see it. I hope you already know to check oil with engine off!

1 person likes this.
  6. angelrob

angelrob New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks :) Yes, I do know to check with the engine off. I waited 2-3 hours after I got home for it to cool, but I'll check again in the AM to see if I can see any better. At $6/qt, I will def. be asking them for the extra 1/2 qt next time!

I would probably have been OK with the price if they didn't have the $43.90 plastered all over the place - and given me a card with it on when I went to the service desk BEFORE I bought the car. The 10K service price worries me if that doubles!

Robbin

7. ramdulari

ramdulari Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Me thinks will do the 1st service at 5k at the dealer. Subsequent ones will just buy my choice oil and take it to the Sears auto center where I didn't have any trouble servicing my old non-hybrid. I'd do it myself, but for two reasons:
    1. I live in an apartment community and park the car in an open lot. There may be objections for fear of oil spills.
    2. Accessibility under the car. I considered both the ramps and stand options. I am not comfortable with the thought of either in an open lot.

8. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Just had mine done last Thurs - this post prompted me to check. About 1/8" (2-3mm?) below the full mark. Avondale Toyota must have been schooled in the past on this ;)

9. bps

bps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    "Certified" Toyota technicians have overfilled my 2006 Prius several times. They will never touch my car again...

Bryan

10. CAR4TWO

CAR4TWO New Member

Model:
    III
    I change my own oil because I can let the old oil drain out longer 20-minutes before adding new oil. You will need a ramp in order to get the plastic flap down far enough to remove the drain bolt and filter cap, which was real easy. Did I hear that Toyota moved oil changes to 10,000 miles or was it 7,500. I like the 7,500 oil change best in all my other cars. I use Mobile 1 across the fleet and 0W20 in the Prius. That is the latest and greatest oil! 5W30 is going to 0W30. Way to go Mobile 1!!

11. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So how many Prius engines have been ruined by the technicians' overfilling?

If none, you're worrying over nothing.

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It is the fuel economy that is 'ruined:'
    [​IMG]
    Notice what happened when the extra quart of oil was drained from my 1.5L, Prius engine.

Still, I would be interested in experimenting with your engine. How much oil can be added until the engine fails? How about the MPG impact of overfilled engine oil?

Bob Wilson

13. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The answer is none.

I bet Toyota service departments rue the day the Prius was ever invented LOL. People coming in with charts and graphs...you overfilled my oil!

The extra 1/2 quart of oil simply stays down in the pan guys...not the end of the world.

14. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I have an oil syphon/pump that I use when I change the oil on the small engines in my home power equipment. It's much easier than tipping a lawnmower on its side to drain the oil, or trying to locate a drain plug under a mower deck.

This syphon/pump has a really thin plastic hose that fits perfectly down the dip stick tube on my Prius. When my dealer overfilled the car, I just stuck the hose down the dip stick tube and removed enough to bring it below the full mark.

I did the last oil change, and wasn't paying enough attention and ended up adding slightly too much oil to the Prius. So again the oil syphon came in handy, and I was able to remove the excess oil without loosening the drain plug.

I have one more free oil change at my Toyota dealer. After this I will be changing it myself all of the time. Or I may just skip the free oil change and do it myself. Me dealer says that they "have to" put in "the required amount" of oil in my Prius, which of course results in it being overfilled.

15. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Although I keep the Prius' oil level below the "full" mark, I have to admit that I am a little perplexed as to what difference the extra 1/2 quart will make, as I too would just assume that the extra oil would simply sit in the oil pan.

Could it be that the oil pan is too small to handle any extra??

16. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wow, I didn't realize that such a simple task as changing the oil could be screwed up so badly.
    Thanks to everyone for pointing this out. I will definitely pay close attention to this in the future.

17. maomao

maomao New Member

Model:
    V
    I fount that the entire stick has smooth surface,unlike any other car's stick where there is a rough area at the tip. So it's very hard for me to get any reading at all.

18. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I thought I read from a hypermiler that they consistently underfill the oil for better fuel economy. Is this true?

19. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    It appears from the testimony of others that this is true. My question is more along the reason of "why would it be true"?

If there is not enough room in the oil pan, then maybe the excess oil would not be able to drain down properly. Would this cause a build up of pressure in the engine, with resulting lower FE?

20. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It appears that some might be missing the obvious here: Why in the world would anyone add more than 4 quarts? It's still going to be close to the overfull mark even with 4 quarts. The dipstick range is quite wide so why waste the oil and the money so that they can overfill it? (Or at least charge you for an amount that would be an overfill.)

With my '08 I use only 3 quarts...putting it at the midpoint on the dipstick. Makes for a lot simpler oil change...not that I let the dealer do it. I've only done a single dealer oil change in the past 10-15 years and that was a "freebie" with the Prius where I provided the synthetic.