1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Curt Tow Hitch Install Finished!!! if only 30 minutes

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by shrktank, Mar 11, 2012.

1. shrktank

shrktank New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just completed my Curt Tow Hitch on my 2012 Prius!!!!

While the instructions indicated an install time of 30 minutes, mine came to be about 4-6 hours

First issue I had was when I went to remove the first bolt, some how my ratchet extender got stuck in the ratchet handle. Could not separate so I had to make a run to Sears for some new tools. Ended up spending about $100 for a nice set of tools.

Came back and finished removing the bolts on the driver side. Then I started trying to remove the bolts from the passenger side. These bolts are, at least for me, difficult to get to. I finally realized the muffler can be moved without damage. Once I pushed it out of the way it was easier, but the last one was still a pain.

I then tried to figure out how I was going to hold a 20lb metal bar in place while I inserted the new bolts. I found a storage bin which was a perfect height for this.

Well, some how I missed placed the sockets for putting in the new bolts. Some how they were left in the house....found them before I lost my mind.

Getting the new bolts in on the driver side was relatively easy. no issues occurred which was good news and unusual for me. The passenger side was a little tougher. Trying to align the muffler mount and the tow hitch was tricky. Took several minutes to figure this one out. I then started to try to get the bolts in. I tried to use the ratchet, but found it not possible to hold the items in alignment and use the tool at the same time. I then realized all I ad to do was hand start them and then tighten later.

I finished my install by removing the Curt sticker on the front of the hitch. It now looks really nice as it is all black and blends well with my car

Well overall, I am not a handyman at all. Told my wife I even have problems with cordless screwdrivers. If I managed this install then anyone can!

One question I do have: The directions indicated i should tighten the bolts to 65lbs of torque. I do not have a torque wrench (and not ready to go back to Sears) and wondering in general if there is a way to measure that or "how tight" is that

Attached Files:

2. SmellyTofu

SmellyTofu Average punter

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Short of using a scale that can measure 65lb of pull attached to a foot long lever bar, not really but good work installing. If only there was some options down this end of the world.

3. Tandem Rider

Tandem Rider Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Check the hitch and make sure the bolts are tight when you use it. Bolts can work loose when on the road.

4. ockevin

ockevin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How much tongue weight can the hitch handle....?

5. txl146

txl146 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I also installed my hitch today. I used my torque wrench to tightened the bolt to spec. I used my leg to hold the hitch in place while tightening the 19mm bolts; I found it a lot easier to start with driver side.

Looks great.

6. rsg

rsg Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    One of the auto parts stores (don't remember which one) will loan you a torque wrench for a refundable deposit. Call around.

7. shrktank

shrktank New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I believe the max weight is 2000

8. mainemanx

mainemanx Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    According to eTrailer.com, max tongue weight is 200lb.

9. txl146

txl146 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Torque wrench can be purchased for $20-30. I bought my wrench from amazon for $40 shipped.

10. Bye_G37

Bye_G37 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Shrktank,

My story is very similar to yours, but i just hung the hitch from some plastic on the driver side. I spent so much time on the passenger side trying to figure out how move the freaking exhaust pipe! Then i noticed the part contected to bolt was rubber so i just pushed it out of the way. It was not a hard thing to do but i did it in my garage laying on my back and it was cumbersom and i did take some nuts to the face ;-)
    i'm not mechanically inclined but this was pretty easy and my wife was impressed seeing half of me sticking out from under the car, grease-monkey style. I dont have a torque wrench but i plan to visit a local garage and ask for some help in getting the correct torqidge (?).

Attached Files:

11. Ajvdub

Ajvdub New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Bye G37, from your name I'm assuming you had a G37 before your prius. I did too, 08 G37S. Boy was it a big change but after 10 months, a very welcome one with where gas prices are going and with the extra room for passengers and cargo.

As for my hitch, I used a Curt as well however I had acess to a lift, an an extra set of hands and power tools. From getting the car on the lift to having it back on the ground was less than 10 minutes. I had a Hollywood 3 bike rack that I had on my G37 that I use, it barely clears the lift gate and is not a great rack but it was a floor model and I got it for like $45. Eventually I want to get a nice Saris like yours.

12. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wish someone would make hitch for the Prius that was made out of some kind of composite material that did not show wear or rust.

This is the first car I have not had a hitch on in many years. With all the previous vehicles I had to paint it every 2 years because of rust. I had it power coated a few times and it did not help. Every Prius I see in Cleveland with a hitch has the issue. They turn from a nice black to rust.

13. Bye_G37

Bye_G37 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    AJVDUD,

We had 2010 G37 Journey and it was freaking awesome ( 326hp) - actually, i will be honest and say it was more car than i could handle. It SCARED me with its power but to make a long story short, my wife and i are in our early 40's and we pretty much gave up on having a 2nd child (our first is 10) so i went ahead and got my dream car. To our surprise, a few months later we were preggo! I decided to say "BYE G37" and get a more family friendly veh. The G37 was VERY expensive. BIG NOTE, expensive gas and Insurance put me over $700 month for that car. Plus, i was always scared of getting dinged or scratched in parking lots. It was more stressful than fun to have that car. I'm happy with my Prius and now that i can haul my bikes i'm even happier. But you are right, there is a big difference in power, performance, and price- at least i know i wont get any speeding tickets :) BTW - my bike rack is a Thule -helium

14. Ajvdub

Ajvdub New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The G was an awesome car but I do not regret my decision at all. My lease was up and I wanted to get another one after the second year but a friend of mine got a Prius and talked me into it and I bought my '11 IV w/ moonroof. I thought it was a Saris by its color. How do you like that rack? Does it clear the liftgate? I'm asuming by the name that it is also very light.

15. Bye_G37

Bye_G37 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, its very light and it does clear the liftgate, which is nice. This is a great model from Thule - being able to use it in class I & II hitches gives it great value. It lockes into the hitch very easily and even has a built in cable lock to secure bikes on the hitch. Its alot lighter than my old yakima and quieter.

16. dragonslayer8228

dragonslayer8228 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You'll laugh but I torqued the four bolts on mine with a bathroom scale and a 2 foot cheater bar, torqued to 32.5 lbs being that the arm was 2 feet. Sometimes you just have to be creative, no matter how silly you look while doing it ;).

17. wesayso

wesayso Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I want to install a hitch on my Gen III. I looked under the car and can see the plastic cover(s)? on the drivers side where the hitch would mount. Do you have to permanently remove any of these for install? Can you post a picture of the drivers side attachment?
    Thanks

18. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    TMI!!! :eek: :pound:

19. jimmyjam

jimmyjam WE KNOW ITS A PRIUS BECAUSE OF THE WAY THAT IT IS.

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. you do not remove any plastic covers. I have installed 3 of these. One curt and 2 draw tight. Use a pry bar to pop the rubber exhaust mount at the rear off (a tiny bit of dishsoap on the rubber helps immensley). Removing the bolts works best with a long extension and short socket. I lay the hitch on my chest while starting the bolts on the passenger side. once those bolts are started you can safely prop the hit up with a jack or blocks. I just use my chest. I can do the whole install in 20 min. Hope this helps

20. dragonslayer8228

dragonslayer8228 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The original tow loop will have to be removed but seeing as you'd have a hitch installed that won't be a problem. The holes dont look like the hitch will fit but it does you may just have to tilt it a little.