1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cusco Front Power Brace... Anyone?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by peterjmc, Oct 3, 2011.

1. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Has anyone here installed the Cusco Front Power Brace?

I believe that it's the third picture down from the top.

[​IMG]

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do they make those power braces for the GENII? I had a version of it by Kenny Bell on my Trans Am and it worked very well. I'd like to see how it helps chassis flex on the Prius.

3. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have the brace in the lower photo, but also have the Tanabe forward brace & Tanabe strut tower brace.

4. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I looked at getting one last year. I put it off though, in hopes the price would come down. I read somewhere that it did help with the flex and cut down some of the rattles as well in those cases.

Wanna buy me one Justin and i'll let you know? :)

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My guilt trip regarding your headlight is making me feel like I need to buy you a christmas present. : p

6. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    lol i actually rode yesterday. I still like that LED headlight I got for the bike. It was a chilly 50 degrees and showers yesterday. Good times....

7. goodtimes

goodtimes my future is righteousness

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'm actually getting all 4 braces tomorrow & installing once in hand... I had a shop from SoCal order mine... I got lucky.. They had all of them on hand... Also got a great deal.. I actually contacted Danny to see about doing a group buy but, her never got back to me... So, I just ordered them myself and still got a great price and a discount on top....

8. peterjmc

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sweet. What the luck. Please let us know how the install went for the front power brace. I was able to find the front power brace for 225.

I'm curious to see how the front linkage brace fits. It looks like you might need to remove the underbody panel for that install.

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep us posted please. :)

10. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I read somewhere that if you intend to install the Cusco front power brace, it interfers with the plastic aero undertray - which you'll need to permanently remove.

11. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I feel like I saw a post on here a year ago about install of this brace.....let me see if I can find it again - I think it lines up perfectly with existing bolt locations on the underside of the car, IIRC.

12. peterjmc

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    There are two front braces. It appears that the second one from the bottom is the only front brace that requires removal of the under tray.

13. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Agreed, based upon the pictures you posted originally. I would go with the longer one, as it appears to tie more of the body together underneath. That was the one I was looking at, but the price just seems rediculous still to me. I was hoping it'd be down to around $150 by now, then I would consider it.

14. goodtimes

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    ----USA----
    here's some pictures of the install.. hope it's helpful….

very simple and to the point.. also, i was able to keep all aero undertrays & heatshield without cutting & just using all existing screw/bolt holes..

i just had to manipulate the aero undertray and bend heat shield.. no biggie really..

enjoy…

IMG_2472.jpg stock under frame

IMG_2481.jpg remove 6 existing bolts (3 on each side).. easy rebolt over heatshield… just bend heatshield to fit afterwards.. since, heat shield will be pushed up towards frame when bolted down.. i just simply pulled heatshield down towards cusco bar..

IMG_2473.jpg remove screws from aero undertray without completly removing aero undertray..

IMG_2474.jpg rebolt 3 existing bolts and 1 extra bolt included by cusco

IMG_2479.jpg manipulate aero undertray to fit.. just use all existing screw/bolt holes.. no need to drill new holes anywhere..

IMG_2477.jpg install complete with all aero undertrays and heatshield all intact..

IMG_2478.jpg gotta love that cusco bars

IMG_2480.jpg after install i had a nice drive on the freeway and the hills… nice bends & turns.. and, yes what a big difference.. definitley a lot less sway and tighter on the turns..

next project: tomorrow 10/06 install on oem fogs, led mirrors, & hc valenti.. friday 10/07 install, hotchkis f/r sway bars & eibach springs…

NewShockerGuy, Creaky and peterjmc like this.
  15. peterjmc

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You deliver my friend!! Thank you for the pics! I'm ordering my under braces tomorrow.

Did you install the Cusco Strut tower brace too?

16. goodtimes

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    ----USA----
    your welcome pjmc.. and yes, i did install the tower bar, i figure you seen tons of install pics of it.. so, i didn't bother… also $225 price on that cusco is good.. are you also getting the single bar under the engine bay frame??? it tucks away pretty nicely

17. peterjmc

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes sir- I'm going to get the front lower arm brace now after seeing your install post!

18. goodtimes

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    ----USA----
    glad to hear… also how do you like your eibachs? ride quality? height? stiffness or not?

19. peterjmc

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I like my Eibachs. If I could do it again I would buy them again.

Ride is slightly stiffer but near almost stock. Baltimore roads are pretty bad. If these were anything but stock ride quality, I would be swapping them for something else.

Height drop isn't as drastic as other springs on the market for our cars. The according to the spring specs I've seen, Prius Plus springs have more of a drop than these do. One benefit of these, which has been mentioned on the forums before, is that the setup gives the vehicle a "rake" by not dropping the rear more than the front. This rake eliminates a saggy rear end look or the look of your wheels being tucked in more inside the wheel well than the front.