1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

cusco upgrades

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by fgp, Apr 6, 2012.

1. fgp

fgp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    evox did a wonderful favor by posting the cusco site. they already have several suspension upgrades. the first upgrade i plan to do will be the tower stiffener. i am curious since there is so little room under the hood. i hope others will do this too so i can get some reviews. i think the second upgrade would be the add on rear swaybar. everything looks so professional.im anxious for all feedback. i love the c and feel that not counting lack of power this could be easily turned into a great handling car with the cusco additions. i have not added their site simply because im kind of a klutz at doing so. hopefully, evox or others will do it. lets have a little chatter about this thanks folks:D:D

2. kkim

kkim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    On one of my previous cars, Integra TypeR, I had upper and lower front strut/chassis braces, rear tower brace, rear chassis brace and a much larger rear sway bar along with a full Mugen suspension kit. I can say they combined to make the car significantly stiffer than stock. The car handled great when pushed to the limits, but everyday commuting suffered as the ride became harsh at times.

IMHO, the rear sway bar would combat what I feel is a handling weakness of the stock c setup, which is understeer. I know they purposely build that trait into FWD cars, but I prefer my cars to rotate more easily when cornering.

Be careful with adding a front strut bar. I've read where it can induce oversteer (don't know if I believe it or not)... the very thing you're trying to combat in this car.

Though the Cusco parts are nice, I hope Progressive will come out with a rear bar for the c at half the price. I had a rear bar on my 07 FIT and it did wonders for the car.

To me, the c needs a bit wider rims and some stickier than stock tires, which I'm experimenting with right now.

3. fgp

fgp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    this is great kkim. i still think stiffening is a good thing. i had and still do wonder if you did all the upgrades if you would have something so stiff your teeth would rattle.. i love the stiffness i just dont want a bone jarring result. as you know the c can be rather jarring as it is over sharp bumps.

4. kkim

kkim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Fred,

Which is why I sound so cautious about stiffening this chassis. With each generation of cars, the manufactures have incrementally stiffen the "frames", so what was normal 10-15 years ago would not be acceptable in present day. I believe the c chassis is plenty stiff. I would only consider stiffening it if/when I felt it was too "loose".

sway bars, on the other hand, do not stiffen the chassis in the sma sense as strut tower bars. Their purpose is to directly affect the dynamic balance when transitioning in a turn. In straight line driving, you could not tell a thicker sway bar was added.

This is my approach to the c, but everyone is different and have their own personal goals to attain. GL with your search for a stiffer riding car, but be very careful for what you wish for.

When my brother came over and borrowed the R for general running around, he hated it. :p

5. EVOX

EVOX New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    1 person likes this.
  6. fgp

fgp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    hmmm. very interesting.... so, maybe that big add onn rear sway bar follwed by the fat front sway bar might be the ticket....

7. kkim

kkim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    just as long as you realize a fatter front bar will bring the car back towards understeer. I'm looking for more rear rotation, so I'm planning to leave the front bar stock.

1 person likes this.
  8. fgp

fgp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    i think your information is great. soooo at this point i think the rear sway bar will be first. maybe last improvement. now,im trying to see who i trust to put it on. this is pretty important since i want a place that wont wont screw up the car . any suggestions? dont know if local toyota would be authorized or would do it. it definitely wont be me!

9. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    what's so difficult about installing it yourself? a Toyota dealership probably won't do it.

10. fgp

fgp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    i dont want to. i will let others who are much more mechanically inclined do it. im sure that its not major surgery. i just want to find a place i can trust and that has the proper lift equipment, attitude and ability.:)