1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cusco vs. Plus Pkg Sway Bar

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by The Critic, Jan 3, 2012.

1. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Trying to decide between the Cusco 16mm rear sway bar or the rear sway bar kit from the Prius Plus pkg.

My understanding is that the Cusco is a 16mm bar that mounts directly to the shocks and does not use end links. I am unsure of the pros/cons of not using the end links, but I have yet to see an OE rear sway bar not use end links.

From the trdsparks page for the xB's TRD rear sway bar, I did read the following: "OEM style ball links allow the beam axle to flex as the factory intended for toe and camber change during heavy cornering." So, I presume that the end links may be important so that the toe correcting bushings can do their job? If someone can comment on this I would appreciate it.

The rear sway bar kit from the Prius Plus Pkg is unknown as far as the size, but my understanding is that the one for the xB is 22m?

Price is the same for both...about $300 shipped with the hardware kit.

Thanks.

2. Philatc

Philatc Pushing Tin

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I went with the Cusco sway bar and it works like a champ. I would suggest in getting your hands on a spring compressor as its fairly difficult to install the mounting bolts under the rubber dampener for the spring. The Cusco bar is 25mm tube that is solid steel. I have noticed a huge difference in handling esp getting on the turnpike....PWR MODE!!! :rockon::focus: Anyway once you install one side, the other side seems to slip on fairly easily. Oh btw you will have to mount the side mount on before you place it up against the car. The sway bar just fits into its little space. If you have access to a garage lift you should use it as its kinda cramped under the car or use jack stands. I bought the sway bar from sigma auto here's the link
    Toyota Prius 2010 ZVW30 Performance, Handling & Electronic Accessories :: Sigma Automotive the sway bar is about halfway down the page.

IMG_4662.JPG IMG_4661.JPG IMG_4663.JPG

Shibikku likes this.
  3. SuperchargedMR2

SuperchargedMR2 Diehard Rams Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Those prices seem very high to me. Are most of these Prius parts that expensive? :( My Corolla suspension parts were a lot less money.

4. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the info. My concern is that the lack of end links would not allow the toe correcting bushings to do their job in turns.

Also, do you have any issues with oversteer? A bar of that size without a corresponding upgrade in the front worries me.

5. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  6. Pung391

Pung391 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Cusco is a high end company. They charge an arm and a leg for everything

7. Philatc

Philatc Pushing Tin

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Issues with over steer, no. I have noticed that with the stock front bar on and the rear cusco bar the car is able to stay solid in an on ramp at speeds up to 45 mph. I did test it out in an empty parking lot to see how far I could push her and to be honest I was scared of the turns with respect to the speed I was doing. The car was taking over and letting me know to slow it down bro...hehe. I do plan on upgrading the front and center support at some point but being that I have a 9 to 5 job. I am unable to just dedicate a whole weekend in 19 degree weather to install the parts.

8. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks guys. I decided to go with the Prius Plus pkg bar. It should be here tomorrow morning at the dealer.

Shibikku likes this.
  9. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So how were you able to by-pass having to use a PLUS VIN?

10. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My dealer had no problems ordering it.

11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    aggr.. I wanna set of Tokico for $300 and Eibach for $200.. NOW!

12. Philatc

Philatc Pushing Tin

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Take pics of the bar and install :)

13. MrBillTulsa

MrBillTulsa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hey, guys - a couple of observations about these rear ASB's.

Unlike all the others I've seen, the Cusco bar is ONLY attached at its extreme ends, at the left and right lower spring supports. There are no bushings, pivot points, or any kind of hold down hardware that secures it to a cross member, axle, torsion bar, or whatever. For this reason, this bar MUST be mounted rigidly, and without any kind of end links. Very interesting!

Shooting from the hip, I think I like the idea of this Cusco rear ASB. First, it can only transfer forces from one spring perch to the other; there is no possible interplay with any cross member. No bumping, no clicking, no binding no noise. No bushings!

Second, being flexible to some extent, I would think that caster, camber, and toe movements are allowed to occur as necessary. Interesting.

Is the Cusco cross bar solid or tubular? Philatc suggested “The Cusco bar is 25mm tube that is solid steelâ€. I think that means that it is solid.

Are the lower shock mounts already drilled to accept this installation? I’m guessing that installing spring compressors only snugly before jacking the vehicle would provide adequate bolt installation room after jacking the vehicle.

What do y’all think?

MrBill

:eek:

14. MrBillTulsa

MrBillTulsa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Oops, my apologies.

Regarding the Cusco rear ASB, my reference to its installation on the left and right shock mounts is incorrect. It mounts to the left and right spring perches.

15. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Okay, I just installed it. Took me about 1.5 hours once I realized that I need to jack up each spring slightly in order to unbolt and remove the shock absorber.

The Prius Plus bar IS white and DOES come with the hardware kit (endlinks, brackets, etc). I paid about $260 with tax for it. I measured the circumference and it is about 2.75" so I think it is a 22mm diameter.

Didn't have a chance to get pictures since I essentially worked in the dark. I'll get pictures another time, sorry guys.

16. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes 2.75" circumference would be 7/8" or 22.2mm diameter, same as xB (22.4). Interesting if it is the same bar just painted white.

It is good to hear it came with end links. Price-wise the xB bar is ~$240, so it is a wash. If you get a chance post the pics and get the diameter with caliper, thnx

PS. Also find out if your dealer can get TRD Sportivo set (spring+shocks) :)

take it for a spin. :cheer2:

17. elcano

elcano Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I dont know much about performance enhancement products in cars, so please excuse my questions. At the same time, I'm very sceptic about premium products in hobby markets (best example is the 'colorful' improvement of $60,000 speakers vs. $2,000 speakers in the audiophile market).

Is there any standard intrument tests used to measure the change in driving dynamics when using these bars? Inclinometer, accelerometers, a combination of them, etc? If the difference cannot be measured in any way (I really, really doubt it), it should be possible to do double-blind test. I wonder why it seems that nobody is interested in this type of scientific tests. It might not be beneficial to the vendors that sponsor the review magazines (with the exception of the boring, non-performance oriented guys of Consumer Reports).

Also, why would the manufacturer be so cheap as for not including the required rigidity in they chassis design. What would be the incremental cost to them of adding this bar as par of the car design/manufacture? $25?

Of course, like with the mats, if you include them, you will loosing the extra income. However, a lot more people consider the mats a must accesory. It is a sure sell.

18. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^^^ if you interested in tests, this may be a starting point: The 10 Worst Handling Cars Motor Trend Tested in 2010 - WOT on Motor Trend

with respect to WHY? there could be different reasons.. for one designing stiffer frame is not trivial, and could compromise crash ratings. Also handling is not at the top of the list of non-sport car owners, esp US owners. Prius is sold in US with one suspension tuning, where in Japan they sell it in 6 different suspension trims (different springs, shocks, etc) Go figure

19. Philatc

Philatc Pushing Tin

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    To reply to MrBillTulsa, yes there are holes in the spring support for the Cusco mount and from what I felt... the bar IMHO is solid steel. The bar IMHO handles really well with the car. I know its not a stock car or Indy so no racing around corners for me. I do however love the increased stability in a turn. As we all know the Prius feels a little loose in a tight turn. If you want I can take pictures that highlight the mount bolts on the spring support. Hope this helps. Oh before I forget yes jacking the opposite side will provide some room to work but then again it depends where the end of the spring coil is at. On the right side the coil was outboard so no problem for the bolts to fit under the rubber ring. On the left however the coil ended right on top of the bolt holes so I had to "convince it" if you will.

1 person likes this.
  20. MrBillTulsa

MrBillTulsa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Philatc - Very nice installation, Phil. If I were choosing a rear ASB today, I would choose the Cusco, as you did.